OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Preseason Scouting

Started by Wood82, January 18, 2017, 06:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

I don't scout anymore as I hunt the same ground year after year and the turkeys use the same general area's absent major habitat changes or bait.  However, scouting can be invaluable until you learn the lay of the land on new ground.  That requires the use of boot leather and Topo maps.  As you get closer to the opening day, your physical presence should greatly diminish.  Otherwise and the presence of gobblers will also diminish.  The use of callers is taboo pre-season.  The Lord gave you ears for a reason; use them.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

EZ

Now is a great time to scout, depending on the snow in your area. You're not necessarily looking for birds, but learning the land. Get maps first, then go for a hike. Once you know the ridges, hollows, the thickets, the open hardwoods and any trails and where they lead, finding the birds right before and during will be much easier as will hunting them.

One thing to keep in mind here in the north, is that birds have wintering spots and they may not even be on a particular piece of ground right now. Don't worry about that. You'll find that out right before the season.

fallhnt

Listen in the a.m. to find roost areas, then scout from there. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

jims

I live in Colorado where there are literally thousands of acres of public land with turkeys only in a fraction of the area.  Turkey density is super low.  If I spent hours in just one small area I would likely be out of luck.  The turkeys here are also quiet...which adds to the problem finding them.  They have found out that if they gobble they get eaten by coyotes, mtn lions, bobcats, and bears.  Sometimes they may gobble an hour before daylight but for the most part they are quiet.  That adds to the difficulty in finding them.

I'm pretty much faced locating sign....tracks, scat, scratch marks, etc.  I generally cover gobs and gobs of miles searching for fresh sign.  It's a lot easier finding sign in snow.  I imagine there are lots of roads in your area so you may be able to find tracks crossing roads?

A lot depends on turkey density in your area?  If there are only a few scattered groups you will likely need to cover more area than if turkeys are distributed fairly well over your entire area.  I wouldn't be too terribly afraid of spooking them well before the season.  They usually have set patterns where they stay until they start scattering from their winter flocks.  Just remember that where they are now may be different from where they are once winter flocks break up or hens start nesting.