turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wyoming antelope

Started by VA Gobble Addict, January 16, 2017, 06:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA Gobble Addict

After going out west for a Merriam this past may, I just couldn't stay away. I'm applying for my antelope tag and put in for units 74, 113, and 21. I've been trying to do as much research as possible but haven't found much. And getting in touch with the wardens have been a challenge. Not looking for anyone's secret spot but does anyone know which units with a guaranteed tag have the most public access? A lot of the public land is land locked from what I have read/seen.  I have the option to change my units up until may and will gladly take any advice. Not really looking for a monster, just a decent buck and a good time. Either way the sights should make it another trip to remember.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

WisTurk

I'm planning on going out to Wyoming for antelope this year myself with a couple of buddies, but we have been saving preference points for a few years.  From what I can tell, it's a bit of an inverse relationship between tag availability and public land access in each unit.  Not sure where we are going yet...I think we're gonna wait to apply this spring after talking to some biologists out there to see if any places got hit rather hard from the winter.  Good luck in your quest!

VA Gobble Addict

I appreciate the response. Yeah I noticed that land with difficult access also had the guaranteed tags. What a shock! I guess I'll try to get in touch with the biologists as well that way I can at least see which regions Are holding the best numbers. Thanks for the idea!

wisconsinteacher

No matter where you go.  Get the maps for your gps for the land boundaries.  I used my truck Garmin and it helped a lot.  I know the Onxmaps are very good for handheld units.

VA Gobble Addict

I have that app for my phone. I'll be purchasing the Wyoming map before the trip. I heard that thing is a lifesaver. Just got off the phone with the warden for the area I'll probably get drawn in. He says the antelope number is good but I'm gonna have to hike to get back on public land. Guess I better buy a new pair of boots too.

SinGin

I hunted out there in 1989. Don't remember what unit it was but it was near Green River and Rock Springs, the south west corner of the state.We hunted on about 30,000 acres of public land. It was a blast and we filled 5 of 6 tags before noon on the first day

VA Gobble Addict

Sounds like things have changed a lot since then. Did you need PP to hunt that area?

SinGin

PP? Don't know what that is. But we just got up,drove what seemed to be about an hour and half south. I think we were almost in Utah but I was only 17 at the time and don't quite remember everything. Have a sister that lives there S I could find out stuff if ya need, just ask and I'd be glad to help anyway I can.

Rzrbac

I kind of got the speed goat bug after driving back from Idaho last year. It looked like Wyoming was infested with them. One of these days I'm going to do my best to put an arrow in one.  I think they make beautiful mounts.

VA Gobble Addict

PP = preference points. And they do make awesome looking mounts. Hopefully I'll be able to grace my home with one

SinGin

No PP needed. We just applied for a nonresident tag in I think February, sent a check in and waited till I believe July to see if we were drawn

Fullfan

Nothing to it, in 2013 daughter and  I drove out on a Thursday. She shot a goat on Friday and I shot one on Sat, and drove home on Sunday. Hunted near Douglas, stayed at the KOA. Not a real tough or challenging hunt, honestly can not believe that people would pay a guide. The goats were everywhere. Pretty to look at, not fit to eat..
Don't gobble at me...