OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help the new folks

Started by Bowguy, January 15, 2017, 09:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Ok guys I was thinking about this the other day at a mentor meeting for the local refuge. In order to turkey hunt we need to be able to find turkeys. As experienced hunters I'm sure many have a few good places they frequent. How bout giving them up? Just kiddin.

Maybe as a help we can imagine moving into a new area or state. How would you all find the birds? It may help some hunters just starting to hear dif techniques. I know we've talked about it before but we get new guys all the time.

Myself personally I'd primarily "scout" audibly and visually. Drive my truck in the half light n later morning if it was before season find as many winter flocks as possible. This will give the relative area of upcoming breeding flocks.
Once the season was here or almost n the big flocks broke up you'd have areas to check to hear the gobbling off the roost. In a sense areas to key in on.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Bowguy on January 15, 2017, 09:34:16 AM
Ok guys I was thinking about this the other day at a mentor meeting for the local refuge. In order to turkey hunt we need to be able to find turkeys. As experienced hunters I'm sure many have a few good places they frequent. How bout giving them up? Just kiddin.

Maybe as a help we can imagine moving into a new area or state. How would you all find the birds? It may help some hunters just starting to hear dif techniques. I know we've talked about it before but we get new guys all the time.

Myself personally I'd primarily "scout" audibly and visually. Drive my truck in the half light n later morning if it was before season find as many winter flocks as possible. This will give the relative area of upcoming breeding flocks.
Once the season was here or almost n the big flocks broke up you'd have areas to check to hear the gobbling off the roost. In a sense areas to key in on.

X2!!

A lot of my pre-season is done from the truck, looking and listening and making mental notes. About 2 weeks before season is when I do my "field" work. Different game plan when I'm traveling for a hunt.

MK M GOBL

VA_Birdhunter

MK M Gobl....you can get a lot of scouting done from the drivers seat of the truck for sure!   I do the same and also prospect for a long neared sometimes during season from the drivers seat of my truck.  I've got s few places where there is miles of logging roads in the mountains where u can drive from holler to holler checking....strike one park get out and go after him!   God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Greg Massey

Don't forget one person who travel's these county roads everyday the rural mail carrier, stop and talk to them he or she can tell you a lot about what they see on these county roads..turkeys, deer etc...

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 15, 2017, 10:28:43 AM
Don't forget one person who travel's these county roads everyday the rural mail carrier, stop and talk to them he or she can tell you a lot about what they see on these county roads..turkeys, deer etc...

Greg that is great advice!!!  God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Bowguy

All great advice n people trying to help. I'd bet when most started if they didn't have a family member or close friend that'd help em they were alone in learning so thanks guys. To the new folks I'm speaking for myself as well as many others, just ask a question n I'm sure someone will answer you. We'd love to see your first bird pic

quavers59

I sure help people out if they ask questions while I am in a parking lot or walking out on a woods road. There are still too many silent veterans not helping out any newcomers when they have a few minutes in a parking area.  I had to learn everything myself and 5 long Springs went by before I broke the ice-- so I always remember this and try to help out.

guesswho

Family, friends and friends of friends I'll share all they want to know.  But it's up to them to sort out what's valuable and what's just some crazy old mans rhetoric.   Now with strangers I'm like Sgt. Schultz.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MK M GOBL

I do a lot to help out the beginners, started this game with a buddy of mine 28 years ago and totally green, didn't know anybody who ever turkey hunted... birds were not in the state when I was growing up. Started off by watching some videos and going to a few seminars and learned to call by listening our tame turkeys on the farm. I have really come full circle, I give seminars every year from "Your First Step in the Timber" to expert level how to play the game. I always listen to everyone's hunt stories because I am always continually learning the game.

I have been very fortunate when it comes to turkey hunting and feel the need to share hunts, teach & mentor :)

MK M GOBL

Tail Feathers

I'm always to give advice and work on calling with someone.  I'll even go scout with them if possible, but my local hunting season is spent with the grandkids and one close friend.  I don't have enough guest privileges or toms on my lease to support everyone I'd like to introduce to the sport.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!