OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another Lamar call

Started by 3bailey3, January 14, 2017, 10:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

Went for over 400 on eBay just now, I went to 350 but lost in the last second!

1iagobblergetter

I missed it.Just curious which call of his it was?

KentuckyHeadhunter

Call Lamar if you want one of his calls.  Then you won't get raped by someone trying to make a buck.  And it will be brand new from his shop and you can hear the call.  Also forming a relationship or talking to a callmaker makes all the difference in the world.  It's a connection with you, the maker, and the call.  There are a couple makers I will never buy from because they were rude to me and didn't seem to care about my interest in their calls.  Lamar is an upstanding gentleman and very friendly and willing to educate you.  Don't be afraid to give him a call. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

3bailey3

The call was made in 94 made with walnut lid and cypress box, shipping box with the widow maker stamp.

Yoder409

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on January 15, 2017, 09:28:25 AM
Call Lamar if you want one of his calls. 

Lamar is an upstanding gentleman and very friendly and willing to educate you.  Don't be afraid to give him a call.

This right here !!!    Yep.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: 3bailey3 on January 15, 2017, 05:39:19 PM
The call was made in 94 made with walnut lid and cypress box, shipping box with the widow maker stamp.

Nice.  Then the price was definitely more than fair.  Very collectible call. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Spitten and drummen

At the box call seminar in Unicoi , Lamar said that he was not a fan of working with mud cured cypress. He also said if someone called him and wanted that , then he would try to talk them into not getting it , however he said if the person insisted that was what he/she wanted then he would do it and that he would charge double the price and if you were not happy with it , too bad it belongs to you. now i dont know if that is cypress or strickley mud cured cypress as i dont know if its a difference. the others on the panel agreed. If it was a mud cured cypress box with walnut lid , then it really may be a rare find.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BOB_HARWELL

There is a BIG difference in mud cured & regular cypress. Mud cured makes a nice looking dead sounding call. IMO. Cypress is also a very difficult wood to work with.

Bob

Let me clear up a few things.... Lamar will not make anybody a mud cured cypress call for any amount of money (period). He will make you a cypress call, only if he can't talk you out of it & may charge more for it. The call in question is cypress but not mud cured or a Widow Maker call. Widow maker is stamped on the box ONLY.   A lot of us don't like to make cypress calls.

Spitten and drummen

Thanks for clearing that up Bob. Wasnt sure if it was a difference , just passing on a little of what i heard.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

hunter22

Bob Harwell----I bought a cypress call from you in 2010. On the bottom of the call it says, "Bald Cypress was cut from the Ocala National Forest in 1960." It has a more mellow tone but is a really nice call.

BOB_HARWELL

I still have some of that wood & it is much harder than most cypress.

Bob