OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pistol Grip or Regular Stocks

Started by GunRunner, January 14, 2017, 01:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

Looking at purchasing an auto loader after using a pump for many years. Most of these new turkey guns offer the pistol grip option. I lean towards the regular stocks that I have used all my life and have never used a pistol grip or thumbhole pistol grip weapon.

You guys that have made the switch.....do you feel the pistol grip provides a greater advantage?
Any negatives like hanging up on brush when moving around?

Thanks
GunRunner

Philippe

The SA-459 was the perfect turkey gun for me when walking thru the woods. The pistol grip offered extra support and stability when holding a bead for lengthy periods of times. I feel that the pistol grip also helped keep a firm positive grip which aided in recoil management as well. I have to say the SA-459 is one of the finest turkey rigs out there today. Unfortunately I let mine go.

MK M GOBL

I switched my 1187 over to a Sure Shot stock a few years ago, I kept the old stock, this was an 1187 SP and had a walnut stock. I made the change after handling a buddies 870 Sure Shot and it did reduce weight by a bit :) beyond that I do like the feel of the gun for turkey as I am not wing shooting with it.

MK M GOBL

Gobble!

Will never use anything but a pistol grip for turkey hunting. Much more comfortable during long sits and while trying to hold still.

Bowguy

In the communist-liberal state I live in pistol grips are illegal on semi auto shotguns, however I've shot these grips in other guns. While it isn't my favorite look to a gun n certainly imo could be a hindrance in the case a bird started to run off or something n needed a follow up shot, in a sense wing shooting on the ground to finish an unfortunate hit bird.
I don't think it'll matter most times w a "rifle" type shot.
Again I don't use em n my guess could be wrong on the follow ups but I don't think so.
Use whatever you feel comfortable with.

dirt road ninja

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Bowguy on January 15, 2017, 08:32:16 AM
In the communist-liberal state I live in pistol grips are illegal on semi auto shotguns, however I've shot these grips in other guns. While it isn't my favorite look to a gun n certainly imo could be a hindrance in the case a bird started to run off or something n needed a follow up shot, in a sense wing shooting on the ground to finish an unfortunate hit bird.
Again I don't use em n my guess could be wrong on the follow ups but I don't think so.

I wouldn't say follow up shots... but I have killed a number of "doubles" with my 1187 w/sure shot.

MK M GOBL

gophert

Go to the 20 ga section and look at the huge posts on the 2015 Weatherby SA-459.  It's the best pure turkey gun I've ever hunted with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvnut3

Once you hunt with a pistol grip you will never go back .Lee

Bowguy

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 15, 2017, 09:16:04 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on January 15, 2017, 08:32:16 AM
As stated I don't have experience as perhaps you do since I don't prefer the look. Just from many years of wing shooting it'd seem your hand it too awkwardly placed to swing properly. All mute points for this sport. That sure shot stock is one that actually doesn't freak me out per se. Again on semis we can't use em, another mute point since I normally carry pumps in the turkey woods.
It's the cool thing about this sport n site. Everyone has things work for them. No better,  no worse, no judgements

I wouldn't say follow up shots... but I have killed a number of "doubles" with my 1187 w/sure shot.

MK M GOBL