OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Keeping Box Calls Quiet

Started by bbcoach, January 13, 2017, 04:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Primo things work well or a holster that keeps them quiet

My biggest issue with box calls is deciding which ones to take to the woods

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

trkehunr93

Rubber bands off of broccoli, works great as long as you like broccoli!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

Quote from: trkehunr93 on January 15, 2017, 08:12:48 AM
Rubber bands off of broccoli, works great as long as you like broccoli!

X2. Another 'go to' for me as well!

Planner

I've tried a lot of what you guys have suggested and it seemed like I'd always bump it and it would squeak. I never really used the call so this year I'm leaving it at home.... problem solved. :)

Greg Massey

Quote from: Planner on January 15, 2017, 10:55:34 AM
I've tried a lot of what you guys have suggested and it seemed like I'd always bump it and it would squeak. I never really used the call so this year I'm leaving it at home.... problem solved. :)

Planner, don't worry if the call squeak, turkeys do the same thing...your just trying to hold it down from rattling like a rock in a can...So take your call with you...Turkeys make sounds in the woods all the time...just because it may make a noise, doesn't mean i wouldn't take it with me...lol,,,,it's all in the funny of turkey hunting...

appalachianassassin

when I quit carrying a vest, I quit carrying a box call. now it dosent squeak at all. just kiddin... I carry it when guiding friends and use 2) 3 in wide elastic bands. 1 goes around the body but under the paddle. 1 goes around the whole thing. its pretty bomb proof.

Cut N Run

I bought a few cheap velcro watch bands at WaMa that I use to keep box calls quiet.  It works great!  I slide it on & off instead of undoing it and making that velcro noise in the woods.

I can't imagine hunting without a box call.  It has been 14-15 years since I hunted without one and I only did that because I left it in the truck by accident. 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

daddyduke

I use one of my children's small socks. Slip it over the box with lid on outside. Completely quiet.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

mtns2hunt

Lot of interesting ideas. Personally, I cut a strip from an old worn out camo peice of clothing. Currently using an old hunting turkey vest in the tree-bark pattern. I then cut strips and put them between the paddle and box and secure with a rubber band. Cheap, effective and the materials are always at hand.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

bbcoach

I think I'm going to get a pack of toddler socks and give them a try.  Easy on, Easy off and light.  The only thing that bothers me with socks is how much chalk will it rub off the lid.  I'll just have to make sure to keep the lid well chalked.  Thanks for ALL the suggestions.

catman529

Best way I've kept one quiet is keeping it on the shelf. ;D

I rarely ever carry one. But a rubber band around the box only and another band around the box and lid is what I would do.

Ontario_caller

I run a thick piece of felt between the lid and the box with a wide vegtable elastic like used on brocoli. Been doing it this way for 20 years or more, absolutely silent.
There He IS !

Marc

A snug box call holster usually works for me...  If not a rubber band (with some spares in my vest for when I lose or break them.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

kyturkeyhunter4

I've always just use rubber bands for mine, Works great for me.

lumberjack

I used pony tail holders for a while, one loop around the lid and then a twist with the second loop around the box, worked very well.  Recently I have made them from paracord, like the old single strand adjustable bracelets.  Gives you one loop to go under and over the lid and one to go around the box and draw it tight.  I'll try to post a pic tonight.