turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 Thumbhole question.

Started by WNCTracker, January 11, 2017, 07:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I'd like to put a thumbhole stock on my 835 this year.  Internet and forum searches on show wooden ones, which I don't want.  Not really interested in a pistol grip either.  Anybody know where to find a synthetic thumbhole?

Gamblinman

Here's what I can tell you about thumbhole stocks, they are uncomfortable to shoot for me. All that recoil goes right into that webbing between your thumb and first finger where it wraps into the thumbhole...just something to think about. With a pistol grip, you tend to wrap your hand further around the grip and spread the recoil across the whole palm of the hand
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

ddturkeyhunter

I do not know about the pistol grip at all how it feel. I have the thumbhole on my turkey gun and my muzzleloader and LOVE them, but I donot feel any discomfort when shooting. And that is when shooting at game or target but everyone is different.

guesswho

I'm not sure where you can get an after market other than wood.   Me and a buddy swapped, he had a pistol grip mossy and I had the thumb hole.    The only reason I didn't care for the thumb hole was because of opposite shoulder shots.   It fit he right hand fine but the left hand made it difficult to operate the safety etc.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

wvmntnhick

Id not do it for the reasons listed above. Had one years ago and to be honest, on quick target acquisition, it was a downer. Took me longer to get my thumb through the hole than to simply wrap my hand around the grip. Didn't keep it long. Personal opinion though.

Greg Massey

WNCTracker

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 11, 2017, 09:23:00 PM
Pistol grip, all the way...
Which one you like?  Choate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: WNCTracker on January 11, 2017, 10:05:17 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on January 11, 2017, 09:23:00 PM
Pistol grip, all the way...
Which one you like?  Choate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have one with Choate, one with adjustable tactical stock, and one with Shur shot stock on 20 ga.. for my 12 ga. i like the Choate better...