News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to Forum, New to the Hunt

Started by qbaker, January 10, 2017, 01:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbaker

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and also new to turkey hunting. This Spring will be my first turkey hunt. I would appreciate the kindness and value of a friendly guide for my first hunt. Anyone closer to the Buffalo, NY area willing to join me in a hunt or loooking for a hunting partner this season, and offer me some guidance this Spring?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: qbaker on January 10, 2017, 01:48:45 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and also new to turkey hunting. This Spring will be my first turkey hunt. I would appreciate the kindness and value of a friendly guide for my first hunt. Anyone closer to the Buffalo, NY area willing to join me in a hunt or loooking for a hunting partner this season, and offer me some guidance this Spring?

I can't be of any help to you in the guide department but I can welcome you to OG. This is really a great place just filled with helpful folks who will go out of their way to be of assistance. I hope one of them can give you some guidance.

You can also contact the Regional Director for the NWTF Marty Huber at mhuber@nwtf.org 716.688.0076 or Sean Langevin at slangevin@nwtf.org 607.427.5795. The NY state chapter president is Bill Wilbur 315.963.3368 or wwilbur551@aol.com One of them should be able to be of help to you.

Best of luck and again, welcome to OG.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mwr

Bowguy

2eagles

Forget about turkeys.
Forget about this forum.
Walk away and don't look back.
It's the only way to avoid becoming addicted.

Welcome!

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

renegade19

Welcome.  Hope you have a blast and get hooked like the rest of us. 

SinGin

wvmntnhick

Welcome to the forum. Do yourself a favor and stick to production calls. They're cheaper and many will sound the same. Once you make the mistake of buying the first custom, you'll be buying high priced calls at a rate that's unfathomable. You'll soon find yourself parted of several pay checks looking about wondering where it's gone. Good luck and jump on in.

ncwoodsman

Welcome to OG and a wealth of knowledge from this site. Good luck on your first year turkey hunting as well.

GobbleNut

:wagon:
First of all.....

As for finding a mentor, I hope you can find someone who will steer you towards hunting turkeys in the "traditional" manner of relying on developing your calling abilities and woods skills to hunt gobblers.  There are more recent "developments" in methods of turkey hunting that, if you are introduced to them, will cloud the issue for you. 

Having said the above, this is not meant to be a condemnation of those who choose to hunt turkeys in ways similar to hunting geese over decoys from a blind.  If that is how you wish to turkey hunt, go for it.  For the new guys, however, I personally believe you will enjoy turkey hunting much more by learning the early traditions of the sport and hunting gobblers with those methods. 

Disclaimer: Really fellas, I am not trying to start a war here,...just stating my thoughts from over 50 years of turkey hunting experience,...and trying to give my honest advice based on that.  Please don't take offense.

greencop01

:welcomeOG:  The old ways speak for themselves. Go out and scout, next morning wear some camo, get out before the sun rises, find a tree wider than your shoulders, sit down and call in a gobbler,and shoot 'em. You'll never go back after that. The KISS principle. Good Luck and Welcome to the ranks of the Tenth Legion of hunters !!!
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

BABS9

Shoot me a PM. Im not far from Buffalo and im there all the time.

slwayne

Find out if there is a NWTF chapter operating in your area and get hooked up with them.  Great way to meet other turkey fanatics in your area and hopefully find a good mentor.  And welcome to OG!