OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli Nova choke?

Started by fallsflight, January 09, 2017, 08:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallsflight

My son won a Benelli Nova at a Ducks Unlimited banquet late last summer. He won't be using it for ducks.   We shoot Remingtons for everything, but thought maybe we would set this up for turkey hunting for him.  Any suggestions on what choke tube and loads?  Without looking, I believe it has a 26" barrel, if I remember correctly. 
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Quote from: fallsflight on January 09, 2017, 08:37:16 AM
My son won a Benelli Nova at a Ducks Unlimited banquet late last summer. He won't be using it for ducks.   We shoot Remingtons for everything, but thought maybe we would set this up for turkey hunting for him.  Any suggestions on what choke tube and loads?  Without looking, I believe it has a 26" barrel, if I remember correctly. 
Thanks

Congratulations to your son. I have a first generation Nova and it's a great shotgun. With minimal maintenance, it will provide a lifetime or more of excellent service. Some Novas have "gritty" triggers but that can be resolved with several sessions of dry firing.

I do recommend that you "deep clean" the bore of that gun. It's chrome-lined and can look clean when in reality it has a good bit of "gunk" in it. Even brand new barrels benefit from the process. http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/tagged/deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel

Even though you son's Nova has a 3.5" chamber, I recommend 3" shells in that gun. I would recommend the 3" Hevi-13 with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot, the Hevi-13 Magnum Blend, I really like the 4, 5, 7, 3" WLB with #6 shot, Federal 3rd Degree or Hevi-Shot Triple Beard. All do quite well though that gun.

Here are 2 proven chokes with the Nova:

The SSX http://allaboutshooting.com/products/12-gauge-ssx-beretta-benelli-mobil-choke-80
The JEBS http://allaboutshooting.com/products/jebs-12-gauge-turkey-choke-mobil-choke-1

There are others of course but either of these will give you excellent pattern density with a variety of shotshells.

Whatever you choose, all my best to you and your son in the upcoming seasons.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

fallsflight

Thank you for the suggestions Clark

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Boykin Hollow

I shoot a Jebs in my SBE 1's with winchester xr long beards # 6's,  in my benelli m1 and m2 20 gauge I shoot TSS with an Incian Creek choke.  Both chokes are an excellent choice.  Indian Creek can be found for about half price of the Jebs.

Hitman 23

Kicks gobblin thunder .665 and shoot 3.5 #5 2 1/4,oz  and it is a turkey slaying machine.