turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DIY Chadron Nebraska

Started by BigSeth, January 07, 2017, 10:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSeth

I'm thinking about trying a DIY shotgun spring turkey hunt in the area of Chadron, Nebraska. Any advice on where to hunt or any tips on hunting while I'm out there would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Yoder409

Don't go the first couple weeks of season unless you wanna risk snow to your knees.

Get good maps of the public land.  There are a LOT of places where you can go in right beside a public land sign and be on private ground before you hardly get outta sight of the sign.

The Country Kitchen beside the Best Western has a good lunch and breakfast. Feik's 120 has the best steaks in town.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

SKYNET KC

My DIY hunt for Merriams this year will be near Chadron. Never been there, so I can't give you any advice. Lol. But it looks like a solid area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSeth

Thanks Yoder 409 for the information.

BigSeth

Skynet KC when are you going out there?

SKYNET KC

Quote from: BigSeth on January 08, 2017, 09:41:37 AM

I'm not 100% sure yet. Like others have said, I've heard early season can be really rough with the weather. I'm torn between using the weekend of April 8/9 for Nebraska or for Kansas, because both seasons will be Archery only at that point.

I've been invited to go out to Kansas and get a Rio with a group of guys that same weekend. Sooo it'll probably end up being...

Nebraska - April 1/2 (DIY public)
Kansas - April 8/9 (friends farm)
Missouri - April 22/23 (my farm)
Oklahoma - April 29/30 (DIY Public)
Iowa - May 6/7 (DIY Public)

TauntoHawk

Quote from: SKYNET KC on January 08, 2017, 11:14:32 AM
Quote from: BigSeth on January 08, 2017, 09:41:37 AM

I'm not 100% sure yet. Like others have said, I've heard early season can be really rough with the weather. I'm torn between using the weekend of April 8/9 for Nebraska or for Kansas, because both seasons will be Archery only at that point.

I've been invited to go out to Kansas and get a Rio with a group of guys that same weekend. Sooo it'll probably end up being...

Nebraska - April 1/2 (DIY public)
Kansas - April 8/9 (friends farm)
Missouri - April 22/23 (my farm)
Oklahoma - April 29/30 (DIY Public)
Iowa - May 6/7 (DIY Public)

Is Nebraska open that early??? Last year I thought their opener was Mid April like the 18th or something.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BigSeth

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Does anyone know if any ranchers or farmers in this area lease out their land for turkey hunting for a trespass fee?

hobbes

Early April may still find them bunched up and on the private ranches.  I prefer mid to late season.  I'd give myself at least 4 days to hunt.  I've killed them on the first morning out, but just 2 days is a gamble unless you are on a private ranch that puts you right on them.

Rain means nasty roads.  Don't assume that the gravel roads are passable after a heavy rain.  Until you experience it for yourself, youll not appreciate how nasty it can get.

Cover lots of ground to find one that wants to play.  I prefer to call to locate during the day. Hunt as much of the day as you can stand.

Yoder409

Quote from: hobbes on January 09, 2017, 02:01:17 PM
Early April may still find them bunched up and on the private ranches.

VERY true..........And it's really cool to see 75-100 Merriam's in a field.   Just stinks when it's on the wrong side of the fence.......

Quote from: hobbes

Rain means nasty roads.  Don't assume that the gravel roads are passable after a heavy rain.  Until you experience it for yourself, youll not appreciate how nasty it can get.

Need this advice !!   Rain or melt makes the back roads slicker than snot on a porcelain door knob !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

turkeyfoot

Quote from: hobbes on January 09, 2017, 02:01:17 PM
Early April may still find them bunched up and on the private ranches.  I prefer mid to late season.  I'd give myself at least 4 days to hunt.  I've killed them on the first morning out, but just 2 days is a gamble unless you are on a private ranch that puts you right on them.

Cover lots of ground to find one that wants to play.  I prefer to call to locate during the day. Hunt as much of the day as you can stand.
all good advise if your going early your really gambling no matter how many times its said its worth saying again wet road in Ks and Neb are slick and good way to get stuck even 4 wheel drive will end up in ditch and to the question about season opening its archery only that early

BigSeth

Probably looking at going around April 22. Thanks again everyone for all your help

turkeyfoot

just watch the weather we were out that way last year end April first May was sleet snow freezing rain the roads were impassible

SKYNET KC

Yeah I should have mentioned I was going during Archery season.

BigSeth

Do a lot people use ATV'S out in this area?