turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Filming Hunts Camcorder Suggestions

Started by rbreedi1, January 05, 2017, 09:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbreedi1

I'm wanting to get into filming some of my hunts and looking for suggestions on equipment. I'm not wanting any of the professional high dollar stuff, just a nice consumer camcorder to film some hunts. Not really sure what I need to be looking for as far as brands, models, options, zooms ect. I don't need 4k just HD would be fine. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look into? Thanks
Thunder Ridge Totes

HFultzjr

That's something I always wanted to do also.
Advice appreciated.
:thanks:

GobbleNut

As you can tell by shopping around (Amazon), there are lots of cameras in lots of price ranges.  Technology and production costs are continually improving, so you can get some pretty darn good cameras that are not very expensive.  Having said that, I'm not sure I would trust the really low-cost cameras to do the job, but I have not used one of them, so I couldn't say for sure.

I do know for sure that there are some really good cameras in the $300-$400 price range that work well for videoing hunts.  I have used both Sony and Panasonic "handycam" type units and have been happy with both.  I'm sure there are other brands that are just as good. 

The one thing I would look for is a camera with reasonably good zoom capabilities.  Being able to zoom in on game is critical to getting good hunting video.  The "Go-Pro" type cameras with little or no zoom capabilities will not do the job.  Also, if you are wanting to take good-quality, non-shaky video, get a good tripod to go along with your camera and learn how to set it up and use it when you are hunting. 

wvlimbhanger

I'm no expert on the matte but I started the filming venture about a year ago....it's ben a lot of fun and brings a whole new level to remembering your hunting experience.

I did quite a bit of research before making a purchase and I went with the canon G20.  It's an older model, they've released a G30 & G40 by now, but it wasn't that long ago the G20 was top of the line.  For what I'm gonna do and you're gonna do you can't beat it.

Whatever model you go with I would get one that has the shoe mount and appropriate plug ins to mount a shotgun microphone to as well as a varizoom controller.  The varizoom controller enables you to power on/off, zoom, and focus you camera with your thumb.

I would also invest in a good, sturdy tripod along with a manfrotto fluid head.  If you go with a canon you can get off brand extend life batteries which are a must also.

Best buy was a great place to purchase the camera because I found it on sale, the tripod I got from Campbell's cameras, and everything else from B&H photo/video supply.

Here's a couple links to the videos I've done with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNNjHCPrW70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wux-ce4t2kM&t=2s

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me

jblackburn

I use a Canon Vixia (not sure of exact model, I think HF G10)  I bought it refurbished from Canon at a significant discount and it has been going strong since 2011, no issues.  Takes great footage and is easy to use.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

kcrebel

I have a Canon G30.  It was around $1500 new.  You can find them now closer to $500 like all electronics as new models launch.  You can google that model among others to watch video reviews, etc.  Tons of info.   
That is the camera I have had for the past 3 years and I love it.  Never any issues whatsoever.  I got 2 extended life batteries, rode shotgun mic, manfrotto head and a good tripod with the Varizoom remote.  The video is as good or better than anything on tv today and I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing most of the time.  Lol.  The G30 has excellent zoom, incredible low light capabilities as well as IR if you do any nighttime filming.  More options than you will have (or take) time to learn how to use thats for sure.
Whatever you do don't cut corners on the mic, fluid head, remote or tripod.  Those items can make the cheapest camera produce great video.  That said the best camera cannot overcome the issues not having those items creates. 
Keep us posted on what you select.  Like others I always had tons of questions prior to buying one and still try to keep up with what everyone is using.

MK M GOBL

We have a few cameras we film with, and yes some of it is for "Outdoor Shows" and a few we have sold a few of the old ones. Right now we are running Cannon Vixia HF G30 & G20 and a Canon XA30, we do have GoPro's but only for b-roll. Things to look at when camera shopping... Look at optical power only, digital is just a distortion of that, next is media we are using SD cards in these was not important to have a hard drive in the camera, we just carry extra cards (these also need to be of high quality). Last thing to keep in mind is the "extra's" you will need, a few posts have gone over this already. If you have questions PM me, I'll help where I can. You can find some good deals on these camera as they are now considered old models...

Here's one of my camera's

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

and I use for Bowfishin' and Whitetail too!

MK M GOBL

SKYNET KC

Quote from: wvlimbhanger on January 05, 2017, 01:02:41 PM
I'm no expert on the matte but I started the filming venture about a year ago....it's ben a lot of fun and brings a whole new level to remembering your hunting experience.

I did quite a bit of research before making a purchase and I went with the canon G20.  It's an older model, they've released a G30 & G40 by now, but it wasn't that long ago the G20 was top of the line.  For what I'm gonna do and you're gonna do you can't beat it.

Whatever model you go with I would get one that has the shoe mount and appropriate plug ins to mount a shotgun microphone to as well as a varizoom controller.  The varizoom controller enables you to power on/off, zoom, and focus you camera with your thumb.

I would also invest in a good, sturdy tripod along with a manfrotto fluid head.  If you go with a canon you can get off brand extend life batteries which are a must also.

Best buy was a great place to purchase the camera because I found it on sale, the tripod I got from Campbell's cameras, and everything else from B&H photo/video supply.

What mic are you running? Footage and audio is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvlimbhanger

SKYNET KC,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm running a rode videomic pro with a deadcat wind screen.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1191314-REG/rode_videomic_pro_with_lyre.html

Gamblinman

I can't add much to the great info that has already been discussed. Be sure to check out Canon's refurbished camcorders. I have 2 and have never let me down. They carry the same warranty as a new camcorder and can save you some bucks.
Canon for cameras
Rode for mics
Manfrotto for fluid head and tripod
High Quality SD cards
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

slwayne

All great info.  How about some suggestions re editing software?

wvlimbhanger

I'm using Power Director 15 ultra, it's their entry level package.  I just started editing a couple weeks ago.  It's very easy to use and I'm pleased with the end results.  Again, you can scroll up and see some of the links to some of the videos I've worked on so far. 

HFultzjr

Quote from: wvlimbhanger on January 05, 2017, 01:02:41 PM

Very nice...............and nice buck also.
That would be the kind of filming I would like to do.

Thanks.

SKYNET KC

Bumping this.

A couple of you were shooting the G20/30/40. Recommendations on some 64gig cards? From what I've seen I want a minimum write speed of 45-50mb/s and a class 10 card. Does that sound about right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk