Main Menu

Dsd Jake

Started by sbbow, December 30, 2016, 10:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbbow

Looking to put a hen with him. What would you all suggest? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beakbuster10

Lay down hen tucked under the jake. Gobblers can't resist it.

slwayne

My go-to setup is an upright hen followed in line by the jake.  Has done the trick on 15 birds in the 7 years I have used it.  Was thinking about adding a feeder hen to the mix for this season but having second thoughts about hauling around three decoys.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: slwayne on December 30, 2016, 11:32:57 AM
My go-to setup is an upright hen followed in line by the jake.  Has done the trick on 15 birds in the 7 years I have used it.  Was thinking about adding a feeder hen to the mix for this season but having second thoughts about hauling around three decoys.

You got this right!
I use this combo and it works, plus you can short stake the Upright Hen and you have a breeder setup. DSD's are absolutely deadly!!

MK M GOBL

captpete

Upright hen...like stated above, you can stake it low and make into a breeder.

1iagobblergetter

Ive used a Jake following behind a couple feeder hens for a relaxed set up for years .I just carry lite collapsibles though. Cheap,easy to carry and effective.

30_06

I have had good success using the upright hen with the jake.

Esse quam videri

yelpy

Same as above. Upright hen followed up by a jake. Works for me... A hen will go at it with the upright hen and the toms and jakes will want to beat on the dsd jake.

The Woodsman

As the season progresses the laying down hen just isn't high enough when the fields are growing.
Upright is the way to go as has been said.

Denny

Gobble!

Upright. Can always double as a breeding.

jwright8

Laydown when is effective if your not in tall grass, or anything that keeps a gobbler from seeing it. I would say go with an upright hen.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

ClayW

I have em all but if i had to choose 2 it would be the Jake and Feeder

Marc

I purchased the "leading hen" cause there were no more upright hens in stock when I made my purchase (and it was on sale at Cabela's)...  Found I would actually make that purchase again over the upright hen.

The leading hen doubles well as a breeder (probably better than the upright in my opinion)...  Also the leading hen seems to irritate dominant hens more.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Duffer58

I changed from pairing my DSD jake with an upright hen to a leading hen.  I can't tell you why but the posture seems to work better.  I've had hens come in running to attack the leading hen decoy - at times I've had a gobbler beating up the jake and a hen pecking the hen decoy at the same time. 
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom