turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

South Dakota Black Hills

Started by PaLmbHngr, December 28, 2016, 08:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaLmbHngr

Going to be heading to the black hills for a merriams this spring. I have hunted easterns in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio, North Carolina and Illinois. I also have hunted rios in Oklahoma but have not hunted Merriams before. Any advice from those who have hunter the mountains? I have been in contact with the nwtf biologist in the area and the South Dakota turkey biologist and have gotten some good advise, but would like to hear from guys who have hunted them there. Thanks.

Brownie

When are you headed out that way? I am also going west from PA this spring, definitely hitting the black hills first, depending how the hunting goes possibly Nebraska and Wyoming as well. 

PaLmbHngr

Have not nailed down a date yet. Going to try and watch the weather as it gets closer in case there is a late snow. I grew up in Pa what part of Pa you from?

MK M GOBL

Won't say I'm the expert on the Black Hills but I have filled my tags there a few times. I have some generals I do anytime I hunt a new place, talk with some locals and a lot of scouting. I always try to get to where other do not want to go... I'm not close to a road and I'll walk to get there. It's been a few years since I have been there (I have Osceola's on the brain) but have killed a couple of beauts with white tips!! Others were good too but some just stood out. GOOD LUCK!

MK M GOBL

PaLmbHngr

Thanks for the info. Good luck with the Oceollas.

Old Gobbler

the weather , timing it that is , is important ....

Go too early and there is snow on the ground , the one time I went (Mother's Day weekend ) I hit it on the money and it was warming up and birds were gobbling all over the place -- the weather will vary from year to year - but do some research on the weather patterns

Allow yourself some extra days for sight seeing the black hills and nearby "badlands " areas , I flew into Denver Colorado and rented a truck from the airport and took a long drive up through Wyoming and never regretted it - that whole area is amazing
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

PaLmbHngr

Timmer

Hello

I have been to the black hills a few times now.  I would get some good topographical / public lands maps.  These will help you identify target spots before you arrive.  Be prepared to do some driving around once there as you will find large areas to be clear cut due to the fight against invasive beatles.  There is success to be found, especially if you are willing to walk some distance off the beaten path.

Probably the biggest surprise for me was how much more vocal the Miriam's were yet how they weren't as loud as Eastern's.  I like to run and Gun and got busted a few times over the first days because I misjudged the distance.  They were way closer than I thought.  Of course, roosting them is your best bet, especially in such large forested areas.

Good luck!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

PaLmbHngr

Brownie

Im from western PA. about an hour north of Pittsburgh. Im thinking of either heading out the last week of April or the second week of May. Depends on what kind of spring they're having out there this year. Doing some research on some southern states to hit up early in April now. Leaning towards TN or SC.

PaLmbHngr

I was born in raised in Cambria county. Good luck with you spring. Looks like you will be busy.

dirtnap

I would try to go as soon as the there is a decent weather pattern.  I went last year for the last 3 days of the season.  Me and my hunting partner got lucky and each got a nice bird on the last day of the season.  It appeared to me that the place gets a good bit of hunting pressure.  In other words, I would go before the last weekend of the season.  It hailed one day out there and covered the ground with about a inch of ice.

I wish they would leave the season open until the end of May.  It usually ends about the 3rd Sunday in May.  It is beautiful country and the turkeys aren't hard to find.  Get a map from the USFS office and go hunting.  You'll figure it out.

PaLmbHngr

Thanks. I will keep a close watch on the weather.

Tomfoolery

I am headed to the black hills this spring as well. Is there a permit i have to get for the national forest besides my turkey tag? Like a vehicle permit??

WisTurk

I hunted there this past year in May and got a nice jake.  I strongly suggest some good maps (cell phone service is spotty).  Some that I used were from the National Forest Service and National Geographic:
http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/product-p/sd-3.htm
https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/product/maps/trail-maps/south-dakota/black-hills-national-forest-trail-maps--map-pack-bundle-

When I was there the birds were quiet as a mouse for the most part and had a tough time finding them (just happened to it hit at the wrong time I guess according to a couple of locals).  Definitely get away from the main roads and you will be doing a lot of driving and walking.  Also be prepared for any kind of weather out there.  I camped and saw some very warm weather during the day but got a bit chilly at night (had a couple of early mornings in the mid to upper 20's).  And as stated by others, set aside a day or two to sight see the area (I really enjoyed Custer state park).