turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 Express Compact 20 Gauge

Started by Turkey1986, December 27, 2016, 01:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey1986

Bought a Remington 870 Express Compact 20 Gauge for my little boy(He'll be 6 on opening day here in Ms). Looking for a little advice(and opinions) about what chokes and shot should be used for a young kid like him. Thanks guys.
I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. - Col. Tom Kelly

turkeyhunter91

when i started my stepson out he was 7 and he used a full choke and shot 2 3/4 high brass #6s. i would recommend looking into the fed heavyweight #7s and you can get them in 2 3/4 for a 20 and use the factory full choke.

agent eight seven O

The factory full paired with 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot would be a good option at the ranges he may be shooting. For around 20 dollars you might want to try a Primos Tightwad choke, unless the pattern is too tight.

AR Cowboy

I would recommend something along the lines of a full choke, if it throws a pattern as tight as what most of us like to shoot he may have a hard time connecting until he develops a little more skill.

The factory full choke should suffice for a shot inside 35 yards based on what I've seen patterning one for my wife.

cluck

Turkey 1986,  if the 870 came with a modified choke and you can put a gobbler within 20 yards of your son then any high brass number 6's shot should do the trick. But by all means let him practice with what you decide. If he misses the target or the real thing just let him know it's not the end of the world. They take things hard if they think they failed. He will never forget if he has a lot of enjoyment with dad.

Turkey1986

Thank you for all the replies, guys. I was leaning toward the full or improved mod, as I didn't want the pattern to be too tight for him. Again, thanks for all the advice!
I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. - Col. Tom Kelly

Swampchickin234

I would try the factory full and let him shoot low brass 7-1/2 dove loads to practice.  When it comes time for the thumpin, I would get a box of fed hw7 2-3/4 1-1/8 ounce loads. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: Turkey1986 on December 27, 2016, 01:56:11 AM
Bought a Remington 870 Express Compact 20 Gauge for my little boy(He'll be 6 on opening day here in Ms). Looking for a little advice(and opinions) about what chokes and shot should be used for a young kid like him. Thanks guys.
Did you get him the 18 inch barrel or the 21 in barrel... if you got the 18 inch barrel your going to have more recoil so i would getting him a full ext. choke to give him a little more barrel length ...same with the 21 inch barrel...

Turkey1986

Did you get him the 18 inch barrel or the 21 in barrel... if you got the 18 inch barrel your going to have more recoil so i would getting him a full ext. choke to give him a little more barrel length ...same with the 21 inch barrel...
[/quote]

I got the 21" barrel, and purchased the compact jr synthetic stock separate. Hopefully give him just a tad more barrel to grow into.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Turkey1986 on January 11, 2017, 11:14:38 PM

I got the 21" barrel, and purchased the compact jr synthetic stock separate. Hopefully give him just a tad more barrel to grow into.
[/quote] good deal, if you need any help with setting it up..just lets us know,,, great group on this forum ..

Greg Massey

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 12, 2017, 01:42:12 AM
Quote from: Turkey1986 on January 11, 2017, 11:14:38 PM

good deal, if you need any help with setting it up..just lets us know,,, great group on this forum ..
[/quote] another thing is if you don't have a 20 ga, your going to like the gun so much you will want to hunt with it...3 in. 20 ga. 7 Federal H W   bad news...

surehuntsalot

what part of Mississippi are you in Turkey1986?
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Turkey1986

Quote from: surehuntsalot on January 15, 2017, 08:50:23 PM
what part of Mississippi are you in Turkey1986?

Hernando. About 30 minutes south of Memphis, Tn.