News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Binocular suggestions?

Started by Jwall, December 26, 2016, 01:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwall

Hey folks,

What do you all think is a good size of binoculars to use for turkey and deer hunting? I am looking to buy a good pair but don't wont to break the bank either.

TauntoHawk

Field and stream last week had vortex talon HDs on sale from $550 down to $260 they are an excellent peice of glass at a great price down know if it's still going but I'd start looking there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

g8rvet

I have some Nikon 8x32 that are always with me in the turkey woods. I don't deer hunt anymore, but they were great for that as well.  Good optics and they are over 10 years old.  I use them constantly, glassing openings before I step out.  Have seen many birds I would have missed with the naked eye.  Makes my hunt more enjoyable to look at things as well. 

I just got a Vortex 10x42 for spotting ducks and geese in the fields.  90% of the time they are used from the vehicle or a short hike.  Perfect and very powerful.  They are not on par with my buddy's Zeiss, but are plenty good to see at the long distances we spot ducks.  Definitely sharper and clearer than some that my son has, Simmons I think.  They are way more than I would want for lugging around in the turkey woods. 

Check out the Vortex Diamondback series for some cost effective high quality warrantied binocs.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

We posted at the same time.  Cabelas Canada had the Talons on sale when I was there, but they were out of them in the states. They are one grade better than the Diamondback and are excellent quality specs.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Jwall

Thanks guys. I had been looking at some Nikons and Leupolds but Ill check out the Vortex brand too.

WisTurk

I love my Vortex Diamondbacks.  Great glass for the price and can't beat their lifetime warrany

Greg Massey

i have 2 pair of vortex one 10 x 28 and the other one 10 x 42 all diamondback...great glass for the money...best customer service also...i use the 10 x 28 for turkey hunting...

Gooserbat

Vortex for me.  I have a pair of 20X42 Diamondbacks.  Good glass for the money. With optics, If you spend more you'll likely get more.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

My turkey and deer binos are the Zeiss Terra 10x42s. I've been very happy with their clarity, low light performance and quality construction considering they're only $400.

My western binos are the  Swarovski SLC 10x42s.  There's no comparison to Swarovski but the price tag is steap.

You don't need 1k+ binos for turkey hunting purposes but it's worth it to spend 350-500 on a decent set of glasses.  From pre-season scouting at a distance to to glassing fields before exposing yourself in them, a quality binocular will reveal more and be more comfortable to use.

I do have a brand new pair of Leupold Mojave BX-3 10x32s sitting in an unopened box here at the house. They're $369.99 at the store.  I'll part ways with them for $275 if you want them.

born2hunt

I have never been much of a binocular guy. But a buddy of mine got a pair of Zeiss 10x42s a while back and I was amazed. It got me wanting some bad but I was set back by the price.  Just recently another buddy got a set of the Bushnell bone collector 10x42s and I could not believe how good the quality was. I now have a pair and love them, I couldn't ask for clearer easier to focus set. I know some guy's are rolling their eyes right now, and I imagine  you could try them side by side with the big names and see differences but going by memory, I definitely  can't see the Zeiss being worth the 2x price difference for the average guy. Just my  :z-twocents:
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

1iagobblergetter

I also have a pair of Bushnell Binoculars. When I bought mine I did a fair amount of research and that's what I ended up purchasing.

wvmntnhick

I don't own any vortex FG's but do have a scope I like enough that I'll probably get another to go on the next build. Aside from that, I've got 2 pairs of Nikon FG's. an 8x40-42 and a 10x32. Love them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacobson

I no longer carry binoculars as my 6x rangefinder serves the same purpose. I can see beards on birds that are four hundred yards away with this and the size is so compact. Plus being able to range a bird at times is a big plus. I can't take the credit for this as my hunting buddy is the one that started this habit. I don't leave home without it any longer. 

GSLAM95

Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 B  I like compact when I am turkey hunting and I can't tell you how many guys that have been hunting with me went and purchased a pair of these same binoculars after looking through them a few times as they are better than most full size binos.

Mine are an older model that I purchased new over 20 years ago.  I have sent them in for cleaning and tightening but no problems with them at all.  Customer service is second to none with a lifetime warranty and all I have ever been out is the shipping to the repair center.
I know guys that buy 2-3 decent pair of glasses over the years and eventually are never satisfied with what they have. 
Do yourself the favor and look through them all when it's low light or a cloudy day and that is when the really good glass will easily put the decision over the top.
If you don't like the price of the Swarovski's then my second choice would Zeiss.
It is true with most anything you get what you pay for and in my opinion they are worth saving up a little longer for if that is what it takes.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Jwall

When yall hear of someone robbing a bank near Nashville just know it was me trying to get more funds to provide for my hunting crap. Anyone need any money while I'm out? lol