OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best gift of all

Started by Bowguy, December 21, 2016, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

I've posted stuff like this before but I'm gonna say it again. It's a giving time of year. And the first day of winter, , which puts us one season closer to spring. Some seasons are only a few months away.
There's prob some kid, neighbor, elderly person you know who's never hunted.
Or maybe they have but haven't turkey hunted.

Spring is a great time to be in the woods, it's not too cold, many times the bugs aren't yet out.
So why not find someone who might be interested, offer a spring turkey hunt. You might be surprised at who'd say yes. Over the winter you can explain calls/calling.
Look at types/styles of calls get one for your partner n show em how to run it.

Come longer days you can look n listen for birds while you explain how you might set up on those birds. Explain the timing n how it affects our calling or responses.
Show them how to roost birds, let them point out a gobblers direction on a limb in the half light.
Let them be involved, teach them this great sport.

Come season, post a success pic. One day when our bodies find the mountains high they may be the ones helping us.

Best gift of all is time n friendship 

Bowguy

Second best gift is brain surgery for a liberal

Greg Massey

GlockGirl

LOL, I think teaching someone to hunt is way more productive than any brain surgery for a liberal !!

Prohunter3509

Quote from: GlockGirl on December 21, 2016, 08:24:46 PM
LOL, I think teaching someone to hunt is way more productive than any brain surgery for a liberal !!
Unless you mess up in surgery then he becomes a liberal

wvmntnhick

Well, not turkey hunting but I'm taking my daughter on her first squirrel hunt on Friday. She's 6 and says she wants to go. We probably won't last long but it'll be fun either way. Taking a young man later in the evening for his first ever squirrel hunt with dogs or possibly ever for that matter. He's a former student and comes from a very nice family. Dad and I have stayed in touch and I called to see how things were going. He'd mentioned that his boy wanted to catch up and go hunting so I tried to make it happen.

MK M GOBL

Here's part of why I do what I do, back in 2010 a couple of hunting buddies of mine had asked if I would be able to take their boys out turkey hunting as WI had just changed its minimum hunting age limit down to 10yr olds. I said yes right away and the game plan was set. Well we had some luck that hunt (photo below) and got these boys into turkey hunting, Hunter on of the three really took to this turkey hunting and has been more to me than I can explain, but I'm sure you know what I mean. And over the years I have watched him grow into quite the turkey hunter, the young man has helped his younger sister bag a few birds, called them in for his dad and has taken some of his friends out as well. He took the time to learn how to mount fans, beards and spurs and even does this for others. I am proud of what he has accomplished and what he has learned.

This is why I mentor.

MK M GOBL

"The Boys" is what I have called this picture