turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli SBE Turkey Gun Reviews

Started by mike103, December 15, 2016, 05:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike103

I am trying to down size my gun collection and at the same time buy the best firearm for each type of hunting and shooting.

So to that end I'm thinking for selling five Remington turkey guns and buying the Benelli.

Who has experience with the Benelli including the performance shop version.

Thanks in advance, Mike.

allaboutshooting

I've been shooting Benelli shotguns since 1991 when I purchased my first SBE. I've had several over the years and still own several. They've all been excellent shotguns, never failing to perform. I still have my original SBE and it's had thousands of shells through it over the years. It just works time after time. My real favorite is the Vinci. It's just so light and has less muzzle climb than any shotgun I've ever shot.

Rob Roberts does a a great job on the "performance shop" guns. He tweaks them in some important places to make them just a bit smoother and checks each of them for the best patterns with a given choke tube. He does good work, as evidenced by the popularity of those guns.

Lastly, it's been my experience that Benelli shotguns pattern exceptionally well, when you have the correct choke/shell and you learn exactly what your particular gun "likes" in the way of bore cleanliness. Some of mine like to be squeaky clean and others like to be slightly fouled. None like to be exceptionally dirty. They will still shoot but patterns degrade.

There are lots of good guns out there and many choices. Good luck in your quest.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Personally, I've never seen any empirical data to support the idea that Benelli makes the best turkey gun out there.  Furthermore, how does one define "the best"?

Are you looking for a gun that has the highest likelihood of producing maximum pattern density? What's the ideal pattern density for you? A hot 10" core pattern or an evenly distributed 20" pattern?

Are you looking for a gun that mounts naturally based on your personal anatomy?

Are you looking for a gun that has the highest level of cycling reliability? 

The lightest weight to performance ratio?

Is it purely the desire to say you own a Benelli when talking amongst peers? 

These are all questions that need to be answered in order to determine how you define the best turkey gun.

Personally, I own 3 turkey guns (Benelli M2, Browning Silver NWTF edition, Remington 870 Super Mag Special Purpose turkey) and I have worked on setting up many for friends and relatives.  I have never been blown away by any pattern from a Benelli.  They are certainly capable of producing high pattern densities but their bore diameters are very narrow; typically in the .718 range.  Overbored barrels such as those found on the Winchester SX1/SX2/SX3, Browning Gold/Silver or Mossberg 835/935 tend to produce the highest pattern densities right out of the box.

Benelli's will also come out of battery easier than any other shotgun on the market unless you put an aftermarket spring inside them.  Many turkey and waterfowl hunters have had disappointing surprises when they depressed triggers on out of battery shotguns.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying a Benelli.  There's a reason the most dedicated/obsessed waterfowlers in the country carry them. There's a reason I own an M2 20 ga(a 5.5lb gun shooting TSS is comfortable to carry and lethal at ranges we are forbidden to talk about here).  Just make sure you're buying the gun for the right reasons and not succumbing to the idea that a shotgun carrying $2500 price tag will actually outperform one carrying an $800 or $1200 price tag.

davisd9

Lot better choices at a lot less money than a Benelli for turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

J.D. Shellnut

I've been a Remington man my whole life. Last year I bought a sbe2 with some overtime money I earned. Although I wouldn't sell any of Remington's I absolutely love the sbe2. It works flawlessly and straight out the box with a Rob Roberts choke and longbeard #6's it's a turkey killer that's a breeze to tote in the woods.
60% of the time it works every time!

PALongspur

I love my SBEII, it fits me better than any shotgun I've owned. It took some playing to find a choke/load combo, but it's a stone cold killer now.

mike103

Thanks for the responses.

I'm looking to down size my collection and have one excellent gun for each type of hunting and shooting.

As to a turkey gun I'm looking for a pistol Grip, 3 1/2 inch chamber, camo, automatic and as mild shooting as possible. And of course good patterning shotgun.

I did the 20 gauge thing. Don't see any advantage. Just looking to simplify my life. Less guns less gear.

Please keep the reviews coming.

Thanks, Mike.

MK M GOBL

I have a very early model SBE (H&K Stamp) and it has served as my waterfowl gun, backup turkey gun and as a slug gun. The gun works flawlessly.

MK M GOBL

obro

I have a SBE2 . I have a red dot on it . I also bought a second barrel which I change for waterfowl , sporting clays and any other small game . I did that so I don't have to sight in every turkey season after duck season .  It works out good for me and  I really like the gun .

WildTigerTrout

I have several turkey specific shotguns but my favorite is my full camo, 24" barrel 12 ga. Benelli SBE 1. I bought it in 2003 and have taken a number of birds with it including the big old Pennsylvania ridge runner  (21.75 pounds, 10 3/4" beard and 1 3/8" spurs) in my Avatar.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

neal

Absolutely love my SBEII, I sent it to Rob and that's a move I'll never regret!! It's lights out and fun to shoot too!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

longislandloco

Which ever gun you finally choose downsizing has it advantages, K.I.S.S., the old adage works, for me it's a 20GA Wingmaster and a Browning BPS, all the guns I need as a senior.....And my 2 Marlin Model 60's.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe