turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Truck parked way in fields!

Started by quavers59, December 11, 2016, 12:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

This happened last Spring around the 3rd week of May. A disabled turkey hunter at Stewart State Forest in NY. He can no longer sit in his truck on the old railroad bed near Rt. 208 and bordering Stewart State Forest. He was told he can't hunt there anymore. He has a huge camo net that he lowers down on his drivers side. Problem is that he now drives in way to far in fields and sits. Saw his tracks in several fields before he stopped to talk with me one Sat. Even disabled turkey hunters can't drive way in on farmer access roads and control fields. Some members here hunt Stewart State Forest- so I thought I would give you a heads up for Next May. I met him 15 years ago on that railroad bed and he told me he took scores of turkeys right there.

doublespurs21

if the disable hunter is not breaking any laws by doing this,,  why is this a problem?? if he is there before you or after you get there first.  I would find a different place to hunt,

Greg Massey

I would be glad to see the guy hunting if he's disable and not breaking any laws// put yourself in his shoes..i agree what's the problem ? With the way he's hunting...

paboxcall

Quote from: quavers59 on December 11, 2016, 12:24:59 PM
This happened last Spring around the 3rd week of May. A disabled turkey hunter at Stewart State Forest in NY. He can no longer sit in his truck on the old railroad bed near Rt. 208 and bordering Stewart State Forest. He was told he can't hunt there anymore. He has a huge camo net that he lowers down on his drivers side. Problem is that he now drives in way to far in fields and sits. Saw his tracks in several fields before he stopped to talk with me one Sat. Even disabled turkey hunters can't drive way in on farmer access roads and control fields. Some members here hunt Stewart State Forest- so I thought I would give you a heads up for Next May. I met him 15 years ago on that railroad bed and he told me he took scores of turkeys right there.

Curious why you didn't instead address this post to the disabled hunter, warning him that Stewart is in fact public land and there may be others, like you, in that field.  Shouldn't he be warned that you're there?? What is the difference if you are in a blind sitting in that field, or disabled and with permission sitting in your truck in that same field.  Public ground, and no one is breaking any law. Especially if the Commission provided him and other disabled hunters a gate key for access as you noted in a different post about it.

This isn't your first post about other hunters at Stewart State Forest, complaining about the pressure or how others choose to access or use it...for someone trying to solve a problem with high hunter numbers, doing a good job publishing the place all over the internet.  Goodness, you even gave a route number too.  Wait till next spring, you've probably seen nothing yet. 

Glad to see those disabled guys are able to get out and enjoy spring turkey hunting.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

The Woodsman

You like to stir the pot just for the sake of being able to. Stick a tampon in it....

Devastator

Quote from: The Woodsman on December 11, 2016, 04:21:58 PM
You like to stir the pot just for the sake of being able to. Stick a tampon in it....
Or a whistle,lololl.

GlockGirl

As long as he is legal I see no harm in it

Happy

Glad to hear a handicapped fellow is still trying to get out. He is in a truck so he shouldn't be too hard to hunt around.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

turkeyfoot

Good for him getting out and hunting better than sitting in couch depressed about his situation disabled hunters have lot of challenges in life simple things we take for granted and by being disabled its not like he is gonna be walking through woods all day so hit the woods and hunt for my taste I'd rather be in woods anyway than watching grass grow I always find more pressure around fields on public ground

Bowguy

I agree w all said. Give the man a chance to hunt especially if he's there first. Now just my opinion but the worst place to hunt busy spots are fields anyway so getting upset just wastes energy. Roost a bird n kill em before makes the fields

quavers59

You guys don't know--so read-- He already has the keys to all gates and can lock them up and drive in as can all disabled hunters. And he can park 2 miles in on any road and then walk in. What he cant do is drive 100-250 yards into a field and park.

SinGin

If ya can't beat em then join them. Go break your back or neck then you can drive in also.

Bowguy

Quote from: quavers59 on December 12, 2016, 06:24:40 PM
You guys don't know--so read-- He already has the keys to all gates and can lock them up and drive in as can all disabled hunters. And he can park 2 miles in on any road and then walk in. What he cant do is drive 100-250 yards into a field and park.
Bill w all due respect you're not reading too good either. I've seen you on 2 forums now n you complain about people being all over places you promote n even give exact spots to. If the guy is a problem n you know so many spots just avoid that one. And all the other spots you have so many problems.
You've talked about guys trying to beat you to some spots. Don't advertise them. No one thinks that is a good idea.
I understand maybe the guy can't drive into a field but go somewhere else n let the guy hunt too.
You seem to always want to help but help yourself and the others that may already hunt there by protecting your areas n keeping them quiet.
There's a difference between public n publicized

captpete

Quote from: Bowguy on December 12, 2016, 07:19:10 PM
Bill w all due respect you're not reading too good either. I've seen you on 2 forums now n you complain about people being all over places you promote n even give exact spots to. If the guy is a problem n you know so many spots just avoid that one. And all the other spots you have so many problems.
You've talked about guys trying to beat you to some spots. Don't advertise them. No one thinks that is a good idea.
I understand maybe the guy can't drive into a field but go somewhere else n let the guy hunt too.
You seem to always want to help but help yourself and the others that may already hunt there by protecting your areas n keeping them quiet.

One of the best statements I've seen in a while.

tomstopper

Quote from: captpete on December 12, 2016, 09:01:32 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on December 12, 2016, 07:19:10 PM

One of the best statements I've seen in a while.
:agreed: I learned along time ago to either keep quiet about my spots or tell a little white lie about where I hunted because be rest assured that if not, the were going to be packed the next day or for years to come. As for the disabled hunter, I would just leave him alone to hunt that field.  You can move to other spots but for him I am sure it's extremely difficult. I would just put myself in his shoes and I am willing to bet that he would love to trade places with you and maybe he won't say it but I bet he does feel bad about driving in that field knowing that he is ruining it for us normal guys but what can he do. Sometimes we just need to let things alone especially in situations like this. Just my  :z-twocents: