turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge 1187 Carlsons vs Sumtoy

Started by buzzardroost, November 29, 2016, 08:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzardroost

Looking to switch to the Federal FCW 7's this season. I do not use a scope, I use deadringer beard buster sights. I want a 40 yard killer. Will the Sumtoy be to tight for me you think? Quite a bit cheaper for a Carlson if the Sumtoy really isn't needed in my situation....  thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzardroost

To the top

BowBendr

I shoot the Carlsons in my 20 ga. Remingtons. Fact is, I've tried them all. In my guns the Carlsons .575 non-ported gives the best hunting pattern I am looking for. Shoots the Fed. 7's extremely well, couldn't ask for more. Have killed several birds at ranges we don't talk about here. Very consistent shooters. Sumtoy shoots great but is a tad bit tighter than what I am wanting in my setup.

wvnut3

you might also consider the Trulock choke  made specifically for the Fed heavyweight 7 . I have it for my weatherby SA-459 and throws great hunting patterns , i also had one for my remington 11-87 in 12 gauge same thing with results. I love sumtoy chokes and still would like to try one in my 20 gauge.Lee

FL-Boss

this...  same thing for me.  Sumtoy will generally give you the tightest pattern... and look the coolest on paper.  But tightest is not best in real world hunting - in my opinion.   Carlson non ported, FED #7 .. don't look back.

Quote from: BowBendr on December 01, 2016, 10:09:40 AM
I shoot the Carlsons in my 20 ga. Remingtons. Fact is, I've tried them all. In my guns the Carlsons .575 non-ported gives the best hunting pattern I am looking for. Shoots the Fed. 7's extremely well, couldn't ask for more. Have killed several birds at ranges we don't talk about here. Very consistent shooters. Sumtoy shoots great but is a tad bit tighter than what I am wanting in my setup.

buzzardroost

Thanks a lot guys. Going to try the Carlson.

darron

I run carlson .575 on my 11-87 and my franchi affinity.

SumToy

Now we run 562 in most.  That said I can build you a different size if needed.    The thing I look at is if you hunt place that bird is going to be in on top of you why shoot the federal.  Shoot cheap junk load.  Save the federal for the fields and places that you need the range.  Buy one choke two shells.   :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Greg Massey

Quote from: SumToy on February 07, 2017, 10:03:39 AM
Now we run 562 in most.  That said I can build you a different size if needed.    The thing I look at is if you hunt place that bird is going to be in on top of you why shoot the federal.  Shoot cheap junk load.  Save the federal for the fields and places that you need the range.  Buy one choke two shells.   :z-twocents:
This information here is so True...i carry different shells for my gun depending on were i'm hunting woods or fields...SumToy this need to be on your Website, great words of wisdom....