OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Persistence in Iowa (youth deer)

Started by chadly, October 03, 2016, 10:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

This would be my son Joshua's second year hunting deer.  He's now 10 and while he shot a deer last year and has taken some turkeys over the last three years this year his interest was much higher than the past.  I did a lot of preseason scouting and hung a couple of stands.  We were in a blind plenty early opening day exploding with excitement.  We never did see a deer that day or the next four outings.  Five sits and not single deer to be seen.  We are not a bait state in Iowa.  I journal all my bow hunts and I average about 2 deer/hour on sightings.  This is really strange to me but again this is really early to be hunting.  The crops are up, the trees full of leaves making visibility very little, its hot, and not anywhere close to the rut.  At this point I apologized to my son for not seeing any deer and he told me not to apologize because he was having fun and learning so much.  The next three sits we did see some deer but they were further than I felt comfortable letting him shoot.  Believe me at this point I really wanted him to shoot but not at the expense of possibly crippling a deer.  The last day of season was last night.  We drove an hour to a stand that has been very good to me during November.  This was sit number 9.  We chased a deer out climbing the tree and 20 minutes later one passed by but Josh could not see it.  Another hour had passed and so did a deer about 30 yards away but the vegetation was so thick and Josh could not get the deer in scope.  Down to the last day and last hour I was giving thanks God for his creation and the opportunity to enjoy it with my son.  I accepted defeat at this point when another deer appeared.  It was not in the right direction so I grabbed the gun and laid it across my lap and Josh spun around in his stand.  I stopped her 50 yards and before I could say shoot he pulled the trigger and the air was filled with smoke as the muzzle loader barked.  She immediately was out of site because of the thick cover but I heard crash almost at once.  I looked at Josh and him at me.  A high five and a hug.  If I could bottle up and sell the excitement and bonding that took place in that tree 25 feet up at that moment I would rich.  All blessing come from God and children are one of the greatest.  Psalm 127:5 Happy is the man who has a quiver full of them (children).

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Happy

Congrats. That's some good times right there!

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

guesswho

Sweet!!!!    Good job and congrats.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

wvmntnhick

I hope to have a similar experience with my nephew in a couple weeks. Congrats to you both.

crow

great job on a nice deer,
and sticking it out to the end with a great shot, way to go

mgm1955

Ishi

The Spirit Lives On

chadly

Thanks guys.  Hunting is always so unpredictable.  Two years ago we hunted turkeys harder and more hours than we've ever hunted in past and never killed a bird. Past spring we killed our birds on the opening morning.  You never know and just have to keep at it.  Good luck you in the deer woods this fall. 

2eagles

jwright8

Congrats!!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

FinBonZ

Great job Joshua!!  From one Iowan to another!

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: FinBonZ on October 04, 2016, 11:24:47 PM
Great job Joshua!!  From one Iowan to another!
Congrats from this Iowan also. God works in mysterious ways. Maybe he thought it would be nice for you to have more bonding time together or help teach your son patience. The first time I ever took my son turkey hunting he bagged his turkey within an hour. The next youth season he went he thought it was going to be the same way and it wasn't. We had to put our time in and I kept whispering for him to be patient,good things come to those who wait. Finally after awhile I gave in and we were just getting ready to pack up and his big Tom appeared out of the woods. Now he tells me to wait a little longer when I'm ready to go and he's only 12 now. Lol...

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.