OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WILDCAT CALL

Started by quavers59, October 02, 2016, 01:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Any member here have LEON JOEHNNINGS book--- THE TURKEY HUNTERS DIGEST? I tried to practice that call. It is used with FALL GOBBLERS in mind. I tried pulling a peg slowly from slate tip to slate tip to  get the sound that the authored spelled out in large letters.It sounds to me like 2 slowed down KEE KEES.  I am going to try this in mid-Oct when NEW YORK opens and then New Jersey as well while gobblers are still roosted (somewhere). Hey--- they might here it and fly over. Almost done with his book. Any member here who read it?

M Sharpe

The one I have is called The Turkey Hunter's Guide. Good little book!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

quavers59

Yup-- it is (guide)--my mistake and it is a good little book.

silvestris

The Wildcat Call is a strange animal.  When I have heard what I believed to be the Wildcat Call the turkeys seemed to be extremely alert and cautious.  I never had any success upon hearing it.  On the other hand, another turkey hunter whom I greatly respect claims to have success using it occasionally.  I have a recording of Leons which is a little different from what I believe the call is.  My version and Leon's are similar, but there are differences.  It is not a call in my repertoire.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

quavers59

I have never heard a recording of the --wildcat call. I sounded it out and practiced some on a Knight and Hale--Old Yeller pot going slowly from pot edge to pot edge-twice. Did not do any scouting for my NY opener this SAT- but I have a very-high area in mind that every Fall has tons of wild turkey sign.  I don;t know if I will ruin my hunt- but want to try this call out before flydown. If gobblers are roosted somewhere on this medium mountain- they will hear it.

ferocious calls

My Easterns make a sound that sounds like a wildcat. Really like a wild cat. My friend who has raised Easterns for decades tells me this is the wildcat call. The first time I heard it there was a wild tom breeding a hen 60 yds from the pen. Several of the jakes were making the sound I now know as the wildcat call.

I have practiced this with just my voice. It takes the right situation to get them to do it or react to it. At times it can really fire them up. They are highly excited when making this sound. Ready to fight sound IMO.

quavers59

I was out this morning and I tried out the wildcat call as nothing was roosted near me. Again-- I sounded out what Leon Joehnning wrote in his book-- The Turkey Hunters Guide. I used a Knight And Hale- OL Yeller pot and a rosewood peg. I gave the wildcat call twice and got some deep clucks in reply. Moved in the direction of the clucks and saw where turkeys had just flown down and were now gone.  I don't know what type of flock it was- but I think it was gobblers as I heard just 1 bird giving deep clucks. I am going to use this again!
    Good replys here about this subject. Ferocious Calls has an interested post about the wildcat call. I never read about this before in any mag.

wvmntnhick

Can anyone post a sound file of what this sounds like? I'm not scared of reading but I'd rather not buy a book just to hear about one particular call. Kind of interested in it myself.

quavers59

When I got this book from Jim Casadas turkey book site-- I had no idea that this wildcat call would be wrote about. It is a rather great and rare book though--The Turkey Hunters Guide.  Now I have been getting Turkey And Turkey Hunting since it came out in 1991. I have the first one still! I don't remember reading about the wildcat call in all those years--1991--2013 when the mag cancelled. I think in one of my books-- I read about the wildcat call.
    So WVmntnhick-- I was so curious as you are about this call that I could have ruined my 1st Fall Turkey hunt this year.  BUT I GOT A DEEP GOBBLER CLUCK IN REPLY.  I heard those deep clucks over 3 minutes or so--maybe 5 of them.  That was a first for me as I only hear gobbler clucks when they are right on top of me in the afternoon. These Deep clucks were before sunrise- so I think the gobbler flock was still roosted. I am sold and will use it again--epithany, I think the word is as I was not going to check that area at all until I heard the gobbler.

quavers59

Here is how LEON JOHENNING wrote when writing about the wildcat call.      2-lonsome- but high-pitched whines. He did not write-Kee-Kees.          QUE-E-E-E--ICK---QUE-E-E-E--ICK       hE WROTE IN BIG AND BOLD BLACK LETTERS AS YOU SEE HERE.  I practiced by going from pot rim to pot rim- not too fast and bearing down with peg.  I know the book is rare- so I repeat the call here. Jim Casada has some I think.

davisd9

Never heard of it. Would be neat to hear what the call actually sounds like, maybe I have heard it and just did not know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

guesswho

I'm still trying to figure out how to practice a sound that I guess I've never heard.   How will I know when I have it right? 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

wvmntnhick

Quote from: guesswho on October 19, 2016, 03:59:56 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to practice a sound that I guess I've never heard.   How will I know when I have it right?
I guess that depends on the birds reaction. If they come looking for a fight, you've mastered it. If they pay it no mind, you'll still need to practice. If they give you a glance and then run for the hills as fast as possible, you may want to stop letting me call birds for you.

guesswho

I'll only break out the wildcat call when I'm calling birds for someone else.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

silvestris

See if this link works.

https://soundcloud.com/user-788295847/leon-johenning

It contains Leon's rendition on his caller.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game