turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

UA (Under Armour) drops a sponsor due to a hunting video posted

Started by Marc, August 25, 2016, 02:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Under Armour (UA) drops a sponsor because her husband killed a bear with a spear and posted it on social media...

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/08/john-boch/armour-dumps-hunters-hunters-returning-favor/

Personally, I can see how the video would NOT be appealing to anti-hunters, and more importantly non-hunters.  Although UA has a solid hunting line, it would appear that their growing market is with non-hunters or non-hunting related activities... 

Wanting to hear both sides of the story, I emailed a letter to their media relations department:
mediarelations@underarmour.com

Here is the letter I wrote:

To Whom It May Concern,

As a hunter wearing outdoor apparel for hunting and fishing, I was somewhat dismayed to see that you dropped a sponsor due to her husband posting a video of a legal bear hunt with a spear.

I would hope that as a company with its roots in outdoor apparel that Under Armour would support hunting and hunting related activities.

As you can imagine, this incident has and is being addressed by hunters on several hunting and outdoor media sites. From the perspective given, it sounds very much like Under Armour is condemning hunting in lieu of a non-hunting (or in this case an Anti-hunting) concern.

I would very much like to understand your reasoning as to dropping this sponsor, and I would like to know what Under Armour does to support the hunting community outside of this issue?

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

Dr. Marc E. Sorsky

I'll post up a response when I get it...  But on other hunting forums I am on, there is some interesting discussion taking place.  I am not ready to condemn UA for their decision, as I do feel that there is an obligation to a sponsor to represent a company and their interests...  And while I understand we will never win over the anti-hunting population, I do feel that the hunting community as a whole needs to market themselves better to stay in the good graces of the "non-hunters."

I would encourage others to write UA (at the above link) with your own inquiries.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gobspur

I didn't read about this or watch the video, but I don't buy UA's overpriced crap anyways.  I'll stick with the good ole cheap camo.  That said, I certainly see your point and concern.

davisd9

What little I know about the situation, I personally see nothing wrong with what they did. In my opinion it is not the best way to kill a bear, which he did do, but so much can go wrong and I am sure it is not a quick death for the bear. I own very little Under Armor products cause of what they ask for it. They have the right as an American company to support what they want, they did not turn their back on hunting. They decided this was not something they wanted to support and be associated with, I am the same way with turkey hunting from a blind with a flock of decoys. To each their own but I do not see this as Under Armor bowing down to anti hunting individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jed clampett

As long as he did it under the law...it was legal I see nothing wrong with killing a bear with a spear....mind you this was probably a big spear and provided a quick death well placed as with any hunting arm...they shoot bears with arrows...so I see no difference...they also hunt wild boars with spears...via the term boar spear...i have watched that on tv...as far as UA goes there stuff is to high priced for me but I am sure alot of hunters wear UA...i hear their cold gear works great...

silvestris

Videos will eventually lead to the end of hunting.  They move what should be a private, personal endeavor into the public arena.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Farmboy27

Quote from: silvestris on August 25, 2016, 10:07:15 AM
Videos will eventually lead to the end of hunting.  They move what should be a private, personal endeavor into the public arena.
Well said. If it's legal then have at it. But use a bit of discresion and consider the possible audience when broadcasting it.

Meadow Valley Man

I agree with Silvestris. I don't understand the need to post controversial images, other than to feed one's ego. And, who takes a bite out of a raw, warm deer heart. Maybe I've been under a rock, but I've never heard of that one.  Blood on the forehead, maybe, but certainly as a parent I would not post it.

fallhnt

It was a legal hunt and the hunter that was dropped was the wife of the hunter who killed the bear. He had no contract with UA....she did. Scent Lok and another company has gone on record as saying they support hunters. The anti-hunters put UA under fire because the video was posted on You Tube.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Happy

I don't believe that under armour is turning their back on hunting. They are trying to straddle the fence though.  I do believe it is a PR move to avoid confrontation. Let's face it, spear hunting is not that popular. I have no problem with it but the truth is that hunting with a spear is much more intimate than killing from a distance even if that distance is slight.  That's a little harder for the non-hunting public to take. Death is death no matter how far you try and remove yourself  from it. But as hunters we need to watch ourselves and our image. TV killing is slowly but surely ruining the true hunters image and you can thank the almighty dollar for that. Under armor didn't like the way they were portrayed and the complaints they received and to save image and keep making dollars they made their stance.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tomstopper

Quote from: Gobspur on August 25, 2016, 07:23:40 AM
I didn't read about this or watch the video, but I don't buy UA's overpriced crap anyways.  I'll stick with the good ole cheap camo.  That said, I certainly see your point and concern.
x2

Ihuntoldschool

It all comes down to respect for your quarry.  Some hunters clearly have it and some don't.   I don't see any problem with the stance Under Armor has taken. Just because something is legal does not make it ethical or tasteful to the the majority of people.  I can understand Under Armour's position from the way they see this.  Comes down to dollars and cents. Hunters make up a small percentage of their overall sales.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Political correctness and social media will be the death of all that we love and enjoy. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

RutnNStrutn

I've never bought any Under Armour products due to their insane prices, and now after demonstrating their association with the anti's, I will never buy any UA products in the future either. >:(

SteelerFan

Quote from: Farmboy27 on August 25, 2016, 12:49:51 PM
Well said. If it's legal then have at it. But use a bit of discresion and consider the possible audience when broadcasting it.

Yep

Cove

Quote from: Farmboy27 on August 25, 2016, 12:49:51 PM

Both of these ^^  gentlemen have spoken for me. Believe that drives it home pretty darn well.