OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hunting with a cross bow

Started by sbertram, August 09, 2016, 07:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbertram

Hi I am looking to get into hunting with a cross bow.
I have broad heads for deer I want to use.  The blades are expandable and cutting diameter is 1 1/3"
I like to do the head shot.
Does this sound like a good idea or do I need other broad heads.
Thanks

jed clampett

Happy

I would not recommend head shots at all. There is no room for error and you will wound a lot of deer that will eventually die a slow and painful death. The heart and lungs are a way better target and will lead to a quick kill. Nothing wrong with a quality expandable broadhead if put in the correct location. Behind the shoulder and slightly below the center of the body as far as up and down is concerned is the sweet spot on a broadside deer. I use fixed blade broadheads myself just because I like the penetration I get on bone or odd angles but it's a personal choice and as long as you limit your shots to your equipment then you will be fine. Research and practice are key. You owe it to the animal you are hunting to do your best to make a quick, clean kill.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

jed clampett

I think maybe we are getting baited with that post...and only 1 post!!!!

2eagles

Hopefully he means head shots on turkeys. If that's the case, then expandables are a bad choice. The broad heads made for turkey head shots probably won't fly straight at crossbow speeds because the blades are so large. Use an expandable and stay with a body shot.

owlhoot

Head shots on turkey use the bullhead and the like. Wicked on
head and necks

jed clampett

Head shots on turkeys...now that makes sense...i took it the wrong way...i thought he meant deer!!

Happy

Same here! My apologies if I took that the wrong way.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

turkeyfoot

Like anything else your gonna have to shoot it and practice know your range and effectiveness of what you have and most importantly know the turkeys vital area and understand how deceiving it is with the feathers just stay away from the breast. I myself would not use expandables for a head shot there are broadheads that would be effective and after practicing you would be OK with head shot. To me a head shot is either good clean kill or a miss but I would use fixed but thats me

perrytrails

No head shots with a bow deer hunting.

I've had good and bad luck with expandable broad heads.

Personally I'd shoot fixed broad heads in a crossbow.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: sbertram on August 09, 2016, 07:43:55 PM
I like to do the head shot.
Is it just me or did anyone else hear Borat when they read this statement?

Crossbows are fine but please stick to the vitals. Head shots with a crossbow are a bit ridiculous in my opinion. It leads to a great possibility for a wounded deer.

wvmntnhick

Guess I should have read farther down the page as well. If turkeys, good luck young man.

hookedspur

They are making broad heads especially for head shooting turkeys and it looks
good on film but I'm just not that good of a shot.
I will stick to swackers and body shots,but if you are good enough then go for it.
I think the good thing about it would be you would probably kill him dead or completely
miss him .
Good luck with what ever you decide..

Welcome to Old Gobbler.          :welcomeOG:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gooserbat

Head shots on turkey with a crossbow is not that hard, IF you put in the practice.  My wife shoots a crossbow that is known for accuracy and skoal can groups at 50 are doable.  Give me a bench rest and a bipod and I can do better
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

sbertram

Hi yes head shot on turkey now deer.

Not sure why the expandables are a bad choice for a head shot.

Please explain it more.

Thanks