turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Muzzleloader for Deer Season

Started by GunRunner, August 07, 2016, 05:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

Looking at buying a new black powder gun this year .  Focused on the CVA Accura or the Traditions G4 right now as they seem to fit my needs and budget.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

GunRunner

SteelerFan

Can't speak to either of those - but the TC Triumph is one of the nicest handling (light) and shooting muzzle loaders I've ever hunted with. 250 gr. Hornady sitting on top of 100 gr of Blackhorn powder...

Brian Fahs

Savage smokeless if you can find one and can afford it.

I have a remington I bought new 20 years ago. Shoots excellent but hard to clean. It will last me the rest  of my life. Lots of good options out there  but the 2 I mentioned  are the only ones I have experience with.

Jroddc

My vote is for the Cva accura v2. I have one and its deadly. I shoot 240 grain hornady xtp bullets that keyhole the bull at 50 and 100 yards. That's as far as I shoot it.

Greg Massey

Be sure and look at the CVA wolf.. it has great reviews and want break the bank..

Jroddc

Quote from: Jroddc on August 07, 2016, 06:10:13 PM
My vote is for the Cva accura v2. I have one and its deadly. I shoot 240 grain hornady xtp bullets that keyhole the bull at 50 and 100 yards. That's as far as I shoot it.
And I'll add it's extremely easy to clean.

Happy

Can't say I own an accura but i have friends that do. They will hold their own with any Thompson center muzzloader out there. Most companies have caught up with Thompson center. Paying for the name nowadays.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

rutnstrut

I would go with cva. I have a optima and wolf and both are great guns for the money.

Farmboy27

There is no need to break the bank for a new inline. Most of them now says will shoot plenty good enough for most hunters needs. It's really all about what you want because they will all give you what you need!

born2hunt

I shoot an optima and love it. I really can't see spending more for something else. I got a stainless model and if they had made the wolf in stainless then I would have saved a few more dollars. Now they make the wolf in stainless and my buddy got one last season and it'll hang right with my optima. Overall,  you can't go wrong with a CVA, and don't over look the cheaper models. One inch groups at 100 is hard to beat.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

outdoors

I HAVE A THOMPSON CENTER BEFORE Smith & Wesson Corp. BOUGHT THEM AND IM TELLING YA ITS A TACK DRIVER OUT TOO 175 YRDS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

crow

get yourself something with a large Siler flintlock, a Colrain, Getz or Green Mt. round ball barrel and don't look back

these new ignition systems are just a passing fad

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: crow on August 07, 2016, 09:18:39 PM
get yourself something with a large Siler flintlock, a Colrain, Getz or Green Mt. round ball barrel and don't look back

How many years is considered a passing fad???? :z-dizzy:

turkeywhisperer935

How many years is a passing fad x2. How many years have we shot 209's now. I'm not sure about those that cause the electric spark though. Just worried something would go wrong but it can with the other ignitions too.

crow

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on August 07, 2016, 10:42:09 PM
Quote from: crow on August 07, 2016, 09:18:39 PM

How many years is considered a passing fad???? :z-dizzy:

well it's a joke, shoot what you like and have fun

I didn't know we were supposed to be all serious like when talking turkey hunting and it's Short Box VS LongBox  ;D