OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A visit to the Ole Box Call Maker !

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, July 17, 2016, 04:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

I stopped by to see Snozz a week ago and even in the 95 degree heat he was hard at work in the shop getting some calls made.  It is neat to see them throughout the entire process from beginning to end. For a guy like me who is certainly not blessed with an ounce of craftsmanship his skill is appreciated!

hunter22

Simply an awesome callmaker and person. I sure enjoy our phone calls.

Dr Juice

mgm1955

crow

some nice looking paddle calls,

is the 2nd from left an osage paddle? 

callmakerman

Great stuff. I've never run one of his calls.

1tiogabowhunter

greencop01

:camohat:   He makes a great paddle call. I have a butternut/ceder paddle call by him. He's hunted with and knows a lot of old caller makers. He got started in caller crafting by no other than Neil Cost and counted Earl Mickel as one his friends and turkey hunting buddies. He's got a wealth of turkey hunting knowledge and is one of the 'old guards' of our sport. That must have been a superlative afternoon!

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

paboxcall

Nice stash of boxes from one of the greatest!  Congrats!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Yoder409

Quote from: callmakerman on July 18, 2016, 04:50:03 PM
I've never run one of his calls.

I've run a couple of them............... 

The only next logical step is OWNING a couple of them.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

crow

Well I am fortunate to live close to Ralph, but had never met him,--- until last week when I was there twice. It was a real pleasure to meet and visit with him, He is one of those genuinely nice people you rarely run across.

He had a number of calls made up, ran several in the house, narrowed it down to 3 paddle calls and a mini boat paddle which we took outside and Ralph ran them in the woods, I picked out 2 and the mini. One of the long boxes is for my hunting buddy.

all of his calls were pure turkey and you wouldn't have gone wrong with any of them, but there were subtle differences in sound just based on personal preference. These are some nice sounding calls

walnut over butternut,---- osage over sassafras with a nice strip of red mahogany on the bottom.
The mini is mulberry over elm, and it is a Kee keeing machine

I don't do pictures, so I hope tying onto this thread is not bad computer manners
the ones I got are the same style as the 2nd from the left (osage) in the above picture.

I also got one of his secret weapons, but since I haven't seen anybody talk about them, and also because I hunt public ground a lot I'm not going to mention it  :TooFunny: