turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Flying Fall Turkeys

Started by quavers59, July 17, 2016, 01:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

How many members here will shoot at a flying Fall turkey if they flush one up?

renegade19

Farmboy27

I've done it dozens of times. I won't do it anymore because I want to be sure I'm not shooting a hen. But if I'd jump a gobbler in easy range I wouldn't hesitate.

nsselle

Only pheasants man, not a turkey that's no fun to me.

Greg Massey

Not me, don't want to kill a hen..i don't fall hunt anyways, i will just leave them until spring...

wvmntnhick

I've done it but don't make it a habit. Mostly because the majority of the ones I've shot in the fall were while squirrel hunting with a rimfire of some sort. Flying shots with a rifle aren't exactly in my wheelhouse of expertise. Nor do I find it safe but that's another conversation. The few in the past were while hunting with a shotgun. Two were while squirrel hunting with a 12 ga and a load of number 6's. The last was while actually turkey hunting. My buddy flushed them from one ridge and when they flew over I hammered a young gobbler with an old single shot 10 ga I wish I still owned.

fallhnt

I have when hunting with my buddy. I hunt solo now , so I just set up and call em in.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

JK Spurs

I've killed a couple birds when busting up the flock and they're flying in every direction. I'd rather call them in, but given the opportunity, I'll shoot at them flying...
I like my turkey well peppered

Marc

First turkey I killed was in the air flying...  Honestly, I would not take that same shot again (it was a high shot, straight up, and flying towards me)...  I'd still take an easy shot, with the head clearly visible.

I still have regrets about passing on a "wing-shot" on a nice tom during the spring season 2 years ago...  Four toms flew from a distant ridge right to me.  When I first sighted them, I thought they were vultures (as they were gliding).  They came right over me, gliding and looking like they were going to land...  Apparently (one or more of them) saw something they did not like and did not land...  It was a gimme shot with heads extended and moving slowly (I have taken and made far more difficult ground shots).

Funny thing is, there is not another bird I hunt that I would consider ground-shooting.  Bird hunting is all about wing-shooting for me (even duck hunting).  I have always felt that a ground or water shot is depriving myself the pleasure of making a nice "wing-shot."

But yes, given an ethical shot with appropriate loads in the gun, I would not hesitate to wing-shoot a turkey.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

owlhoot

I have shot plenty in the air , hens and toms in the fall. About like shooting quail, but look to shoot them in the eyeball . Straight a-ways shots are not as consistent of killers so a guy might keep that in mind.

You can always look for beards or length of neck and head of a young jake.

Not thinking about much fall hunting for turkey with the populations still down and diffidently not no hens will get shot by me.
Now if they are toms and happen to walk by the bow stands , then it is on!

Happy

If I hunted fall I wouldnt hesitate if given a good flying shot. I don't get some of this "ethical" shot stuff. It isnt "sporting" to shoot certain species but yet it is considered unethical on others. A shot is a shot. If you feel you can make it then take it. I am not advocating risking shots but if you feel it's a good shot then take it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

Quote from: Happy on July 17, 2016, 07:43:34 PM
If I hunted fall I wouldnt hesitate if given a good flying shot. I don't get some of this "ethical" shot stuff. It isnt "sporting" to shoot certain species but yet it is considered unethical on others. A shot is a shot. If you feel you can make it then take it. I am not advocating risking shots but if you feel it's a good shot then take it.

You make a good point.

Dove on a limb, don't shoot...
Pheasant on the ground, don't shoot...
Duck on the water, don't shoot...

Give them 6 wing beats, and BAM!

Feds used to have regulations about shooting "resting" waterfowl - but that was as a result of market hunting in days gone by. Some of my acquaintances would argue that a swimming duck isn't "resting"...

A lot (if not all) of these choices come down to personal rules of engagement. For me, if the particular turkey (intended target) I'm about to pull the trigger on is within range, and a clear, clean shot is presented, then I'm shooting - standing or flying.

2eagles

I shot a flying fall bird once. Only fall bird I've killed. Truth is, I don't enjoy fall turkey hunting all that much. Probably won't buy another fall tag.

SinGin

Oh how times have changed. I remember old timers talking back in the day that it was unsportsman to shoot a turkey just walking on the ground. To each his own though

Brian Fahs

I spend the entire fall season in a tree  hunting bucks with a bow.
When I was in high school my uncles would take me fall hunting. We killed them mostly by scattering and calling them back.