turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

PA Deer Hunters

Started by JK Spurs, July 08, 2016, 10:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JK Spurs

Reminder for you PA resident deer hunters....1st round doe applications go out Monday.
I like my turkey well peppered

wvmntnhick

Y'all have to apply for doe tags? Never heard that before but I don't hunt much out of state. Here they just limit the number of does we can kill per county. Last year, iirc, they eliminated the harvest of does in the county I hunted. Might have been allowed to kill one but I don't remember. I don't shoot them up that way much anymore anyway. Between the hard winters and high predator populations, I wait until I can get back down to my new residence to shoot them. Lots of deer here. You'll see more here in one evening than you'll see up home in a season.

Beards and Hooks

Sneaks up on me every year, just got my license today.

Beards and Hooks

Have to apply in New York as well, the only two states i have deer hunted in, NY however is nice you get them while getting your hunting license, so you walk out knowing what you have.

JK Spurs

Quote from: wvmntnhick on July 08, 2016, 10:27:01 PM
Y'all have to apply for doe tags? Never heard that before but I don't hunt much out of state. Here they just limit the number of does we can kill per county. Last year, iirc, they eliminated the harvest of does in the county I hunted. Might have been allowed to kill one but I don't remember. I don't shoot them up that way much anymore anyway. Between the hard winters and high predator populations, I wait until I can get back down to my new residence to shoot them. Lots of deer here. You'll see more here in one evening than you'll see up home in a season.
Oh yeah, it's the same process ever since I started hunting at 12. Fill out the application, pick the WMU you want to hunt (use to be you pick the county), and send your check and app in their cute pink envelope to the county treasurer. Everyone usually gets a first round tag...at least the WMU I hunt. Not sure if others get denied the first round. They allocate a certain amount of tags for each unit.

SteelerFan

I've been hunting family ground in PA for 30 years... but as a non-resident, I have to wait 2 weeks so residents get first shot in the doe tag lottery. THEN, if I'm lucky, I get to pay $26.70 for 1 doe tag.

In Maryland (except western 2 1/2 counties) you are allocated 10 with gun, another 10 with muzzleloader, and unlimited - shoot as many as want during archery season, Sept - Jan. Oh yeah, and all those are "free" - just need the licenses.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: SteelerFan on July 09, 2016, 06:54:05 AM
I've been hunting family ground in PA for 30 years... but as a non-resident, I have to wait 2 weeks so residents get first shot in the doe tag lottery. THEN, if I'm lucky, I get to pay $26.70 for 1 doe tag.

In Maryland (except western 2 1/2 counties) you are allocated 10 with gun, another 10 with muzzleloader, and unlimited - shoot as many as want during archery season, Sept - Jan. Oh yeah, and all those are "free" - just need the licenses.
There's a world of difference in deer density between western Maryland and the eastern half of the state for sure. I still think it's a bit excessive but hey, they may regulate as they wish.

Happy

Quote from: wvmntnhick on July 09, 2016, 09:19:02 AM

There's a world of difference in deer density between western Maryland and the eastern half of the state for sure. I still think it's a bit excessive but hey, they may regulate as they wish.
You haven't seen the majority of the eastern shore hunters in the process of hunting. Just to put it nicely, I don't fear for the deer population down there.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

M,Yingling

I think they cut that down to one week this year may want check
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

JK Spurs

Quote from: M,Yingling on July 10, 2016, 07:13:08 AM

Correct, 1 week for non-resident.

SteelerFan

Quote from: JK Spurs on July 10, 2016, 12:44:32 PM
Quote from: M,Yingling on July 10, 2016, 07:13:08 AM

Correct, 1 week for non-resident.

10-4... Thanks!!

Yoder409

Haven't even bought my license yet and wasn't about to fight the last minute line at Walmart to get it.  The WMU that I apply to generally never sells out first round, so I have a week to get my license and send in for antlerless.

Anymore, I am happy if I get one tag so I can transfer it to my little girl.  If I get a second one I'll use it on a freezer filling mission.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dr Juice

Quote from: JK Spurs on July 08, 2016, 10:06:58 PM
Reminder for you PA resident deer hunters....1st round doe applications go out Monday.
We have to do the same in NY but our filing period is from when the license goes on sale (August) until 1 October. We (residents) have to pay a $10 fee with no guarantee for selection for your choice of your Wildlife Mgmt Unit. We can get no more than two doe permits for the year and they must be used in the WMU selected for. NY needs to observe and take notes on how other states managed their herd because we need desperate improvement in it. Oh by the way, if not selected for a doe permit, the fee is non-refundable. Consider it a donation.

All The Way!

PALongspur

Not exactly a necessity to send right away for my WMU anymore but I still usually do it out of habit.

I'm also in one of the CWD areas so I can buy about as many additional tags as I want.

dejake

My state's the opposite.  We have too many deer.  You get 4 doe tags with your license, and you have to buy a buck tag.