turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Camo is fading

Started by JK Spurs, July 04, 2016, 03:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JK Spurs

I bought my Benelli Vinci about 5-6 years ago and the camo is fading bad. Mostly around the forearm which is understandable but I also notice today that there is a spot the size of a quarter on the receiver where the camo actually chipped off. I put a lot of miles on this gun and it gets worked hard but I have a Winchester 1300 and Remington 870 that also were hunted hard with in past years but they look almost like new. Kind of annoyed considering the price tag...
I like my turkey well peppered

reynolds243

Same reason I always advise anyone buying a benelli or Beretta to buy black and cerekote or dip it in whatever you like. Price ends up being about the same anyways and the finish is way better

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

PALongspur

I would not trade my Benelli's for any other shotgun but they have the absolute worst factory camo finish out there.

wvmntnhick

I'd second the cerekote. It's good stuff and will last forever. I've yet to find a dip job that lasts.

Farmboy27

I have never owned a camo gun that the finish didn't start to wear off in a year or two. My super x2 looked like it went through a war after 2 years. My 870 had the finish wore off the underside of the receiver in a year. Carry a gun much and it's gonna happen. Simple fact is paint tends to wear off.

JK Spurs

Quote from: Farmboy27 on July 04, 2016, 08:38:40 PM
I have never owned a camo gun that the finish didn't start to wear off in a year or two. My super x2 looked like it went through a war after 2 years. My 870 had the finish wore off the underside of the receiver in a year. Carry a gun much and it's gonna happen. Simple fact is paint tends to wear off.
Yeah, unfortunately it seems like I carry that gun to the very last day of May in Pa every year....I'm checking into this Cerakote everyone speaks of.

Marc

I have yet to see any really well-used dipped gun not wear quickly.  Especially on the forend and near the action...

Cerakote is by far the most durable and gives the most protection....  Also a bit pricey.

For my current waterfowl gun, I am going to use Rustoleum paint...  Easy to reapply and easy to remove if I want as well.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

870FaceLift

Quote from: PALongspur on July 04, 2016, 04:16:35 PM
I would not trade my Benelli's for any other shotgun but they have the absolute worst factory camo finish out there.

:agreed:

Every Benelli in my family has performed flawlessly, but the camo doesn't seem to last.  The most recent Benelli that I purchased was chipping at the barrel tip where the choke screws in after about three hunts.  I love their shotguns, but their dip longevity is lackluster.
Pass it on...

VaTuRkStOmPeR

My Remington finishes have held extremely well despite 20+ days per spring in the field.

The duracoat on my on my Browning Silver is beginning to get sticky and flake on the stocks however the camo on the metal receiver is holding up well.

I'm about to send my matte Benelli M2 off to get cerakoted but I have no qualms with older Remington camo finishes.

All of the factory camoed  benelli's my friends own are pilfering off in flakes. What I've come to learn is youre paying $1,500 for the mechanical reliability of a Benelli; not much else.

Stumpy225

Have an rem 870 turkey/predator that's starting to fade and rub off. Guess it's time to cerakote the metal.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Marc on July 04, 2016, 08:52:05 PM
I have yet to see any really well-used dipped gun not wear quickly.  Especially on the forend and near the action...

Cerakote is by far the most durable and gives the most protection....  Also a bit pricey.

For my current waterfowl gun, I am going to use Rustoleum paint...  Easy to reapply and easy to remove if I want as well.

I use Rustoleum on my Browning BPS. Bought the shotgun 25 -30 years ago. Holds a great pattern. Wore most of the bluing off it years ago and had it re-blued in matt. Had to do something about that shinny stock so painted in a leaf pattern over a solid green. Lasts about three years a painting and only takes about twenty minutes to touch up. Love that Rustoleum.

I also have a black Benelli use it mostly for dove may look into that cerakote finish. Thanks for mentioning it.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

hookedspur

MT State Camo does a great job dipping and doesn't charge an arm and leg..
He has a very good warrantee as well.
But they will all fade and wear as time goes by.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

JK Spurs

I may use Black Dove Customs. I've been talking to them and looks like they do very nice work.