OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help with identification of Granddad's box call?

Started by Chamberlin Calls, June 26, 2016, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chamberlin Calls

This is my Granddad's box call,  looks to be cedar, hand chiseled on the inside.  Has a "2" on the lid and on the inside. Overall length of the body is 9 1/4"; the lid is 10 3/4"; @ 2 1/2" tall.  He was born in 1903 and lived most of his life in the North Mississippi (Olive Branch), Memphis or East Arkansas (Marianna) areas.  Any information appreciated.   

nitro

Royal Slam 2008

West Augusta

Its a Gibson, not a Turpin. Look at the angle under the handle.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Hmm....looks like it's influenced by a Gibson body and Turpin lid.  Back in the day those were the calls everyone copied. It's what they knew.  I am no expert but I would venture to say it's a very good copy from the same era.  A very nice old collectable call no doubt.  I am interested in what a more knowledgeable collector may think.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

jed clampett

That's awesome!!...let us know if you find out anything on it...interesting for sure

Marc

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 26, 2016, 10:35:59 PM
Hmm....looks like it's influenced by a Gibson body and Turpin lid.  Back in the day those were the calls everyone copied. It's what they knew.  I am no expert but I would venture to say it's a very good copy from the same era.  A very nice old collectable call no doubt.  I am interested in what a more knowledgeable collector may think.
I know squat about collectable calls...  But this thread got me interested and I looked up both Gibson and Turpin calls...  Before reading your post, I came to the same conclusion...  The two most popular calls on the market and this call looks like a cross between them.

Whatever call it is, it is a treasure...  Toughest decision for me would be weather to harvest a bird with it, or keep it on the mantle...  I'd probably take some extra care and put it in the vest a couple times a year (if I thought it sounded good)...  Something nostalgic about harvesting game with some of the older "goodies" out there, especially when it belongs to and was used by a close relative.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

M Sharpe

Back in those days money was tight. Folks knew how to work with their hands, so they built their own houses, barns...and turkey calls!! A neighbor or even your grandpa might have made it. It is the same way today. There are many people making calls that most have never heard of.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!