turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mounts, how many ya got

Started by Farmboy27, June 25, 2016, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beards and Hooks

Wow nice mounts guys, I only have a red fox mounted, no full turkey mounts. Eorlando i have to say that smoke phase osceola and the hogs look awesome.....very nice!!

Ihuntoldschool

Zero. I don't mount animals.

beakbuster10

I've got 5 deer shoulder mounted. 2 deer euro mounts. A bobcat full body mount. A black duck drake. A gobbler fan and wing mount and one gobbler at the taxi doing a 1/4 strut gobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejake

eastern 1/2 mount
Osceola at the taxidermist
4 whitetail shoulder mounts
pronghorn shoulder mount
barren ground caribou shoulder mount
Alaska-Yukon moose antlers (cape is frozen in case I ever get a place large enough)
black bear shoulder mount
pheasant full mount
ruffed grouse full mount
numerous fans and beards

eorlando

Quote from: warrent423 on June 26, 2016, 12:52:43 PM
Quote from: eorlando on June 25, 2016, 01:58:12 PM
I only have one turkey mount and it is the first bird I ever killed, a smoke phase Osceola. I have some other miscellaneous stuff mounted. Some are better than others but they all have a special meaning to me. I have definitely leaned that you get what you pay for with taxidermy.

DSC_7143 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7146 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7147 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7148 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7150 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7151 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7155 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7160 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7161 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7162 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7163 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7164 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7166 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr

DSC_7168 by Eric Orlando, on Flickr
Those Cypress bucks. I like that cypress stump .

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on June 26, 2016, 02:35:13 PM
Wow nice mounts guys, I only have a red fox mounted, no full turkey mounts. Eorlando i have to say that smoke phase osceola and the hogs look awesome.....very nice!!
Thanks guys. I only have one buck from big cypress. The rest are from other places but all of them are from swfl. Most were killed in the cypress or very close to cypress heads.

allaboutshooting

I've had only one turkey that I shot mounted. He was special since he was the 1st legal bird shot in in the modern era in the county that I was hunting.
Back then, he was a big bird. He weighed 24 lbs. had an 11.5" beard and 1.30" and 1. 25" spurs. 
He's in a flying pose and even with wings bent, they are over 60" from wing tip to wing tip.

Wild turkeys were not too common then, so about 25 years ago, I put him in a friend's gun shop so that people could see a turkey gobbler "up close and personal."

I've kept beards & spurs of other birds and they bring back memories of hunts with good friends.

In the years when we lived in Illinois, I shot some nice bucks but never had one mounted. I saved the antlers from some of them and still have a few.

A good friend in Southern Illinois had a trophy room built for all of his mounts. At one time, he had more mounted animals than any private person in the state of Illinois. He had mounts of all kinds from all over the world.
I understand they were donated to various museums at his death. They were truly spectacular.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Beards and Hooks

Sounds like an awesome collection your buddy had Clark!!

GSLAM95

Quote from: eorlando on June 26, 2016, 10:13:26 AM
Quote from: GSLAM95 on June 25, 2016, 02:02:41 PM
Full body mounts
2 - Easterns
1 - Osceola
1 - Rio
1 - Merriams
1 - Gould's
2 - Ocellated

I like looking at mounts, tail fans, spurs and beards on the wall.  They say the first step in recognizing an addiction is being able to admit to it.  Ok I admit to it...  :icon_thumright:
That is impressive right there. I would love to see some pictures!

I need to update pics as I have crowded in a little more stuff but these pics will give you a little feel for the last 30+ years.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

wvmntnhick

Nice collection gslam95. You've got some dandy deer there and I'd like to say thank you for sharing. More importantly, I'd like to say thank you for not getting your bear mounted with the mouth wide open as if it's about to speak someone. I'll probably catch some flack for this but that's got to be the tackiest pose anyone could choose. Black bears aren't known for being aggressive like many mounts depict them to be. Thanks for keeping it realistic and natural looking.

laker

Very nice, gslam95!
I only have one fan/beard/spur mount currently... When I get more birds with significant meaning maybe there will be more mounts!

Borat

I will have 5 turkey mounts when my taxidermist finishes the birds at his shop. I only have one currently on the wall; a double beard from Virginia with good hooks that my brother called in for me. Pics of the mounted bird and ones I dropped off at the shop are below.

2010 Virginia Eastern

2015 Montana Mountain Merriam- Dead mount when finished.

2015 Washington State Rio- Walking in strut when finished.

2016 Osceola- Half Strut walk when finished.

2016 Maryland Eastern- Power walk when finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stinkpickle

No full body mounts for me.  Now, maybe if I happen to pop a cool color phase bird, or something like that some day...

wvmntnhick

That Maryland bird has some hooks featheredhat.

Farmboy27

Dang!  Those are some nice mounts fellas. In addition to the turkeys I have 2 shoulder mounts of buck, my first ringneck, and a 23" largemouth I caught when I was 10. I've killed a ton of buck but only 2 I thought were big enough or meant enough to spend the money on. I almost got both my first coyote and my first bobcat mounted. Looking back at how many I killed since then I'm glad I didn't. I love looking at other peoples mounts but as for my own it's kind of like new living room furniture. At first it's really something but 10 years later it's just the same old thing you've looked at every day!  But like I said, I love seeing others mounts! 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on June 27, 2016, 08:28:50 PM
Sounds like an awesome collection your buddy had Clark!!

Yes, it was. His "room" was more like a museum. I never knew the square footage but it was huge, with high ceilings and platforms for the bears and other large animals.
He was a true student of the art of hunting. He started hunting as an older man, after he retired but made up for all the years of work when he did not have the time to hunt.
He had a map that went with each mount, showing exactly where he'd hunted, the type of rifle and ammo used and all the particulars of the hunt.

My father-in-law introduced me to him and arranged for my first guided tour. It was quite an experience. Looking back now, I wish I'd kept notes and taken pictures. It would have
made a great story and one that frankly should have been recorded.

Most people would not be able to do all that he did but it said that you can start hunting even at an older age. Maybe not in Africa or Asia but as long as the desire is there,
you can still hunt.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."