turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Suriname ironwood?

Started by antnye, June 22, 2016, 08:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antnye

Anybody use this wood yet? There isn't much information out there on it. Woodcraft is the only place I've seen it. It is very hard, tight grained and dense. Comes from Suriname where Snakewood is from. And it's properties are similar to Snakewood and just as hard.  Makes a great sounding trumpet. But makes your lathe gouges shrink. :D

crow

silverspur

That is a fine looking trumpet!
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

KentuckyHeadhunter

And I bet at Woodcraft you pay dearly for it!  Haha.  Never seen it in a turkey call but it's a beautiful Caribbean hardwood.  That is a super nice trumpet Anthony.  I like the mouthpiece too.  Good job.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

antnye

Thanks y'all!

Thanks Allen it's a nice wood for sure. It's really fairly cheap compared to the other exotics. About on par with bocote on price. The sound is similar to Snakewood and Gabon Ebony.

Crawdad

That is a sweet looking Trumpet

The Cohutta Strutter

X2. It never made it out of Chatsworth. Anthony "surprised" me with it this morning. He had a hunch that it would make into a great trumpet because of its properties. He was right. Anthony, I can't thank you enough for it and just know you made this ol turkey hunter's day !
Anybody seen America lately?

antnye

Thanks for turning me on to this stuff David!  I thought it fitting you should have the first one.

Bowhuntr73

mmclain

I've turned it... It is very wet when you get it from woodcraft and needs to dry for months.  It is good stuff. Very hard

antnye

Quote from: mmclain on June 24, 2016, 10:09:04 PM
I've turned it... It is very wet when you get it from woodcraft and needs to dry for months.  It is good stuff. Very hard

First one I turned a few months ago split open after it sat for a few minutes. Let this blank dry since February and the moisture finally got down under 10%

mgm1955