turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Suppressers, subsonic shot shells, etc.

Started by Life of Riley, June 20, 2016, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

I'm just wondering if anyone on here has had any success doing things to hunt with a gun that is "less loud". I usually wear electronic muffs while hunting, just wondering if anyone has tried anything else. If anyone has shot a bunch of different guns and shell combos and wants to suggest one that doesn't bark too loud please let me know.
Thanks

PS. Just worried about hearing loss as guns are the #1 cause of it. Plus already have a touch of tinnitus.

howl

Longer barrel, slower load. A long barreled 12 with He is hot might be softer. My 28" 20 is the least loud turkey gun I have used so far. I just bought a 28" .410 hoping for, among other things, a softer report.

TRG3

If you will wait for the gobbler to come in to your decoys set at 20 yards, almost any shotgun with any load will take him. I've used flintlock shotguns as well as Damascus hammer double barrels with reduced loads to take gobblers at that distance. If you want something really quiet, get a crossbow. Lots of toms are taken annually with this method and there are websites to help you if you need it. In fact, with a range finder and a crossbow, you could be successful at 30-40 yards with a little practice.

Farmboy27

Hearing loss is definitely a concern since hearing is such a huge part of hunting. I have abused my hearing all my life with shooting, construction work, and running farm machinery without hearing p protection. I never really notice a decline in my hearing until my son started hunting. Wow!  He can hear way better than me!  My wife has been hearing impaired since birth and has always told me how we "hearing people" take it for granted. I have started wearing protection for target shooting and dove hunting. For turkey hunting I guess I just figure "what's one more shot".

Marc

Those sub-sonic guns have very large and cumbersome barrels...  I would not want to tote one around, or be poised for that incoming turkey for very long...

These guns are also very expensive.

Electronic hearing protection makes a lot more sense...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

silvestris

I can't worry about the shots I take hunting (only turkey hunt); I never pattern without hearing protection.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

wvmntnhick

The LGS has a couple shotgun supressors but I don't think it would truly be something that would interest you if you've got any desire to save the weight. They're quite heavy and make the gun unwieldy at best. If you're concerned about hearing protection at that level, get yourself some custom hearing aids that shut off at a certain decibel. Cost wise is going to be similar when all things are considered and you're saving the "swingability" of the shotgun. Trust me, I doubt you're going to like it. I've had the opportunity to fire one when they did a test shoot and it was horrible to be honest. Did the job but it ruined the overall feel and experience, for me anyway.