OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hearing protection

Started by vman, June 16, 2016, 06:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vman

Have a really bad case of tinitus and hearing loss. Over the past few years have only been calling in birds for friends and not shooting but have the itch to sit behind the gun again. For those of you in the same position I am hearing wise. What are you doing to protect your hearing while hunting. What type of aids or devices are you using? Looking for some direction on what is not cumbersome to wear in the woods but also provides protection for the one or two shots i may take a year. Thanks for replies in advance - V

Jim K

I have the same issues. I use walker game ear two. I didn't like the roll up foam part that goes in your ear, so had custom molded ones made.

I love them and they cut off when a shot is fired protecting my hearing. They do take some getting used to but I don't hunt without them. They have helped my hunting tremendously.

Windy days are bad though. Hope this helps.

Marc

Quote from: Jim K on June 16, 2016, 06:58:21 AM
I have the same issues. I use walker game ear two. I didn't like the roll up foam part that goes in your ear, so had custom molded ones made.

I love them and they cut off when a shot is fired protecting my hearing. They do take some getting used to but I don't hunt without them. They have helped my hunting tremendously.

Windy days are bad though. Hope this helps.

How long did it take you to get used to them?  My brief experience wearing them, I could hear great, but could not tell what direction anything was coming from...

As I am only firing one shell (at the most) while turkey hunting, I generally do not use hearing protection (although I know I should).  For waterfowl, I use one of the valve-type hearing protection units (I use Hock's).  They block out some sound but allow me to hear most things, and when you shoot there is a valve that shuts off that blocks more of the louder sound of the shotgun..  They work well for duck hunting and dove hunting...

Tried them turkey hunting, and I have a much more difficult time hearing a distant bird gobble...  Which is why I go turkey hunting without them...

I have had good luck using the Earplug store, as they were the ones that directed me to my current use of earplugs...  Pricing ain't bad either:

http://www.earplugstore.com/

Here is a link to the non-electronic plugs I use for waterfowl hunting:

http://www.earplugstore.com/honobr.html

And here is a direct link to their electronic stuff:

http://www.earplugstore.com/in-ear-hunting-hearing-aids.html?_s_icmp=HOMEBAR5_HUNTING1

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

WAGinVA

Check out ESP, I have worn electronic hearing protection for about 20 years and would not hunt (or shoot) without them.  They are expensive but they work.  I recently bought a pair of BTE open fit hearing aids for daily use and I really like them as well.  I am 62 and spent too many years operating old ratty farm equipment without hearing protection. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: vman on June 16, 2016, 06:11:30 AM
Have a really bad case of tinitus and hearing loss. Over the past few years have only been calling in birds for friends and not shooting but have the itch to sit behind the gun again. For those of you in the same position I am hearing wise. What are you doing to protect your hearing while hunting. What type of aids or devices are you using? Looking for some direction on what is not cumbersome to wear in the woods but also provides protection for the one or two shots i may take a year. Thanks for replies in advance - V

Several decades of shooting, and of course the natural aging process, have also caught-up with me. My left ear has taken a lot of abuse and it's especially bad. "Crickets" are a constant companion as well.

I've tried a number of plugs over the years, including custom ear molds and some of the kits that allow you make your own. For the past couple of years, I've used plugs and muffs when I shoot at the range or in competition. The problem of course is that it makes it very difficult to hear normal conversation without at least removing the muffs.

The plugs that shut-down with higher decibel sounds are better but I still find that I have some increased "cricket chirping" after shooting. I have some great muffs that I can use when I shoot hand guns but they are too bulky for shotguns or rifles.

I shoot pretty much all year and really want to keep as much of my hearing as possible. I also want to be able to hear natural sounds when I'm hunting.

So, I'm now searching for electronic muffs that will work with shotguns for range work, competition and hunting. I'll be happy to pass along what I learn and maybe it will be of some help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Jim K

When I first got my game ear, I only had one for my left ear which is my worst. I could not tell directions at all. I had a couple of people tell me I needed two. When I got the second one that made a world of difference but in all honesty sometimes I need to hear a  gobble a couple of times to pinpoint it. Hunting with other people, quite frequently I hear birds that others don't. I'd rather leave my gun at home than my game ears!!

sixbird

I've tried a few of different devices. Best I've found so far is walker game ear (digital...I think game ear II). It's the only one with enough decibel boost to mitigate my hearing loss. They work great for hearing protection also.
The secret to hearing direction with them is to balance them. Put them in your ears and close your eyes. Snap your fingers, right to left or vice versa. Adjust until you can discern which direction the snap is coming from...
I've actually been able to pinpoint some gobblers that my hearing abled friend misjudged...

vman

Thanks for the replies fellas. I appreciate the input. I'll take a look at the Walkers digital

birddogdoc

I wear an ear plug in my left ear for the same reason...

Tail Feathers

I use the Howard Leight muffs for the grandkids.  I should use them for me but seem to forget to put them on myself.
They are electronic so you can still hear the gobble.  They can sure add range to how far you can hear a gobble too, but getting the direction can be an issue with them on.
But if you work him some and put them on to close the deal, there's no problem at all using them.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!