turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sweet spot...

Started by sixbird, June 15, 2016, 09:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Man, been so long since I bought a glass call...Trying to recall how I found the sweet spot on them without scuffing up the entire face...
Anybody?

Happy

For me it is usually about 3/4"-1" in from the outside edge. Most custom calls already have a spot prepared. That's where they tested them. Personally I always prep 1/2 of the call. I buy them to hunt and am not going to be selling them to anyone.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

jed clampett

I actually wonder about this myself...ALL my pots are only scratched in one spot...i don't like scratching the whole thing up...most my glass calls come already scratched by the callmaker maybe they know where the sweet spot is...i don't know!...i will add a good pot should play the same all around ...i am talking from the edge to a inch in...thats where most pots play

sixbird

Thanks gents...I didn't remember trying to find that sweet spot on a glass. I'm guessing it's because the maker already did it...That makes sense...

ol bob

A "good" pot call will not have a sweet spot it will play the same if you play it the same distance from the edge

BowBendr

Quote from: ol bob on June 16, 2016, 10:25:18 AM
A "good" pot call will not have a sweet spot it will play the same if you play it the same distance from the edge
^^ this ^^

Gods of Thunder
2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

sixbird

Not being smart but I must not own a good call. All of mine have a sweet spot. I mean a pretty marked sweet spot...

wvmntnhick

Quote from: sixbird on June 16, 2016, 09:43:36 PM

Not being smart but I must not own a good call. All of mine have a sweet spot. I mean a pretty marked sweet spot...
There's usually more to it than that in my opinion. I'm not new to turkey calls but I'm relatively new to custom calls. Having played with several, it's possible the the direction of conditioning can have an impact on the "sweet spot." I'll agree that a good call should sound the same when playing the same distance from the edge in all directions but one must remember that we tend to rotate the call as we play them. A change in direction (with or against the grain) will make a difference. Just my observations.

sixbird

I've been using custom calls for quite a few years, and to be honest, I guess I never experimented beyond finding the spot that sounded the best and sticking with that. Once I found "the spot," I'd condition east to west so to speak and play it there. Maybe, had I conditioned in a different spot within that sweet "ring," it would have sounded just as good...
Ya' learn somethin' new every day!
Thanks again gents...Got an education that I didn't expect...

Turkeyman

I have three excellent pot calls; slate, glass and aluminum. I use a Scotchbrite-like pad for the slate and either sandpaper or drywall screen for the glass and aluminum. I roughen them circular in from the edge a bit and just rotate them as needed to get a new spot. Wherever I play them it sounds the same.