turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Food plots?

Started by Jroddc, June 14, 2016, 06:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroddc

My father owns property in up state NY and we are talking about putting in food plots. Neither of us know much about them and want to plant something that is good for both turkeys and deer. Figured I'd ask on here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jared

DirtNap647

A good clover plot is probably the easiest

Roost 1

SwampRooster17

We've had good luck with Crimson clover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WisTurk

Clover is a good one for sure.  Our deer really love winter rye as well (not rye grass), especially after the corn and beans are all brown and the rye is still green.

Greg Massey

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I plant white clover and oats. Year round food plot. Ive had great success with them.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

One more thing, the oats will grow tall and head out in the spring. They will provide some cover for poults.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

silvestris

If I were planting food plots for turkeys, I would plant for poults, not for hunting.  I would talk to a turkey biologist to find what planting would produce the most grasshoppers to assure that the poults get the most protein.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

joeturkey

I plant food plots in florida and Pennsylvania for deer and turkeys I plant brown top and Japanese millet mix with iron clay Cowpea easy to plant and maintain the deer turkeys quail and Grouse really love it.

darron

Fall plant clover with oats, rye or brassicas. Planting clover in late summer is the way to go. I'm a fan of my own mix of winter rye mixed with clover and chicory. I also am a fan of evolved harvest prograze.

Spurs

Everyone will tell you clover.  Best food plot for all around results.  Good forging/hiding for poults, tones of protein, easy upkeep once established, and low maintenance costs.  It will seem expensive when you first jump in, but definitely pays for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

Jroddc

Thanks guys for all the responses

bbcoach

Check out the QDMA forums.  Tons and tons of food plot info there. https://www.qdma.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10   

Marc

I know nothing of providing turkey habitat...  But I have been involved in improving duck hunting habitat...

I would look to local Fish & Game to talk to a biologist...  I would also call NWTF and inquire about speaking with a biologist.

You might even be able to get a biologist to come out and take a look at things and give you suggestions and recommendations (we were lucky enough to have such luck at our duck club).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.