OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Semi guided merriam hunt

Started by wvlimbhanger, June 10, 2016, 10:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvlimbhanger

Looking for a semi guided merriam hunt in Nebraska or South Dakota. I've found several good outfitters but quite a bit want a guide there with us. Looking for private land access with knowledge of what birds are doing and a quick tour of the properties. Lodging and meals are not a necessity.

Thanks in advance

zsully

I just hunted NE this spring with Ross Alcorn from Alcorn's Hunters Haven.  I think this is exactly what you're looking for.  He leases a 5,000 acre farm about a mile south of the NE/SD border.  He literally drove us to the farm every morning and let us go.  He would stay at the truck or scout other parts of the property while my buddy and I hunted.  If we asked for direction he would give it to us but otherwise he stayed out of our way and let us do our thing.  We each killed 2 birds on a three day hunt which is exactly what we wanted.  There were birds everywhere on his place.  I'll definitely be going back again.

duxrus

What was the price tag if you dont mind me asking

LI Outdoorsman

Sounds like just what I'm looking for would you mind pm'ing me the price and particulars?

zsully

redjones

If you don't mind could you send me the info also.

Thanks...........Greg
Semper Fi

marshboy

Lol I would appreciate it if you also sent me the info.
Greg

WisTurk

Count me in for a PM as well if you don't mind.

zsully

Here are some pictures from the hunt

LI Outdoorsman

Thanks for the pm....great pics!...sounds like a great hunt

Thanks again..

Hooksfan

Less than 12 hours after the original request, and there are five more requests for the same information for the same guy and thats not counting the countless others that are looking this guys information up --because what he is offering is exactly what most of us as turkey hunters are looking for in a western merriams trip....now, aside from this guy now be swamped with internet offers, the law of supply and demand will kick in and next year, the birds will be more pressured and you will pay more for the opportunity to hunt pressured birds....
Not trying to be critical, and I applaud the good intentions, but buddy, you just screwed yourself out of a sweet honey hole, IMO

Farmboy27

Quote from: Hooksfan on June 13, 2016, 12:10:28 PM
Less than 12 hours after the original request, and there are five more requests for the same information for the same guy and thats not counting the countless others that are looking this guys information up --because what he is offering is exactly what most of us as turkey hunters are looking for in a western merriams trip....now, aside from this guy now be swamped with internet offers, the law of supply and demand will kick in and next year, the birds will be more pressured and you will pay more for the opportunity to hunt pressured birds....
Not trying to be critical, and I applaud the good intentions, but buddy, you just screwed yourself out of a sweet honey hole, IMO
It's not like he gave directions to his best public land spot!  He gave info on an outfitter. Supply and demand?  If the outfitter isn't smart enough to make sure that the supply can handle the demand then he's not gonna be in business long anyway!  Most are only going to take a set number of hunters a year, regardless of how many others want to book.

redjones

Maybe he did maybe he didn't,I started list of outfitters that guys on here have hunted with and think are worth returning too.
I plan on retiring in a year or two and would like to be able to take a look and say lets make some calls.
I have a few outfitters listed from OK,TX,FL,NE,SD,WY,MI and KY will I ever hunt with all these outfits,No,but its nice to have options.
Will all these people call this outfitter and book a hunt of course not,most guys are window shoppers they like to think that someday when the stars all align they will travel the country to hunt turkeys from March till June and be at one with themselves.(like I'm doing right now with my list)
Nice picture's and birds by the way.

Greg

Semper Fi

Hooksfan

Maybe you guys are right and perhaps I came off more negative than I intended, but I can't help but think if folks are beating this guys door down--even if they are just window shopping--that the outfitter would respond with some rate hikes--after all it is a business.
And......not all outfitters are the reputable types that  would'nt try to cram as many hunters as possible in there.  There are tons of crooks in the outdoor industry---Some have even been known to be CEO's of "Non profit" organizations that I used to very involved in.
  I don't blame the folks interested in acquiring information about the guides at all.  In fact, I believe I posted a question about some Merriams guides in New Mexico a while back myself...

zsully

Quote from: Farmboy27 on June 13, 2016, 12:48:52 PM
Quote from: Hooksfan on June 13, 2016, 12:10:28 PM

It's not like he gave directions to his best public land spot!  He gave info on an outfitter. Supply and demand?  If the outfitter isn't smart enough to make sure that the supply can handle the demand then he's not gonna be in business long anyway!  Most are only going to take a set number of hunters a year, regardless of how many others want to book.

I'm not concerned.  Doing the research and talking to the outfitters was half the fun preparing for the trip.  Ross worked his tail off for me while I was there to ensure I had the exact hunt I was looking for.  The least I can do is give him a good review.  I have a feeling that he will only take as many hunters as he feels he can provide an excellent hunt for. I hope if anybody does book a hunt with Alcorn they have the same experience that I did.  Maybe down the road somebody will do the same for me when I decide to go chase Rio's or Osceola's.