OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth call problem

Started by larry9988, June 09, 2016, 10:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry9988

I have been a friction caller most of my turkey hunting career. I actually started out with mouth calls and called in quite a few turkeys with a Quaker Boy Jake Special 30 years ago before going to boxes and pots. I have been almost exclusively a trumpet man for the last 5 seasons. I decided I would like to learn to use a mouth call to add another type call to my vest. I have bought SEVERAL different call cuts from several different makers and it seems every cut call I blow is too raspy. I want some rasp in my calling that I don't get with uncut calls but it sounds excessive to me on the cut calls. Am I not using enough tongue pressure, is the call too far back, too far forward or what? I am striving toward a clear note that falls into rasp. Anyone have any suggestions or have I finally met my turkey call match? Also I have kind of a medium pallet and usually put a small bend in my frames. Is this part of my problem. I am stumped. Thought I could learn this before next spring but I am really starting to wonder. I already have the call magic dvd and have a hard time finding the clean spot on cut calls. Any help would be appreciated.

KPcalls

Larry check out Shane Simpon's calling all turkeys website and watch his video on using mouth calls several times. Even though I've been killing turkeys for thirty years with mouth calls It just didn't sink in what I was doing wrong until watching his video. My mouth calling has improved greatly since.

SteelerFan

In my experience (30+yrs) with mouth calls, I have found:

- Do NOT bend the frame, it can mess up the tension on the reeds.

- find a tape size that fits well... enough to create a tight seal but still hold comfortably on the roof of your mouth. Remembering the air flow is between the tongue and the reeds - you don't want "leaks" between the call and the roof of your mouth as you make the desired calls.

- holding more tongue pressure longer will help with the cleaner front end of the yelp.

- based on mouth size and shape, some calls will just always sound too raspy (barking seal)

- different cut configurations and reeds will determine the amount of rasp, if all else is equal.

- VIDEO:  https://youtu.be/3uPXoGEZeYg

larry9988

Thanks for the replies. A barking seal, well that about sums up the way I sound. I am going to the youtube site now. Thank you guys for taking the time to answer my questions. Larry

KentuckyHeadhunter

Don't over think your calls or your calling. Turkeys are actually dumb birds that are given too much credit. They do NOT outsmart you.  They are birds doing bird things.  If you can cluck you can kill a turkey.  Calling is only ten percent of your hunt.  Locating birds, proper setup, and knowledge of terrain/landscape is most important.  Have fun.  Learn from mistakes.  Don't try to keep up with everyone else. Don't compare yourself.  Make it your thing.  As soon as you do that you will relax and have confidence.  That's what's needed to walk back to the truck with a dead gobbler.  Just my 2 cents.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

KPcalls

Larry...forgot to mention the extra rasp in my mouth calling was mostly due to dropping my tongue off the call with my jaw....It took me months to stop that old habit once I figured out what I was doing. I'm not quite where I want to be yet but I'm getting closer by the day.

larry9988

I am not really comparing myself to others, I am just trying to learn how to use another type of call well. I understand that calling is just a part of turkey hunting success, but I also believe the more realistic I sound on a call the more successful my calling of turkeys will be. I practiced for two years on a trumpet and have gotten proficient enough with it to call turkeys pretty well. I started learning the pot call and watched videos of competition calling to get better on using those types of calls. Since I could do pretty well on these calls my hunting success has increased, no doubt. So I am trying to at least get where I can do a decent cluck and yelp on mouth call so I can add one more call type to my calling. Believe me I have fun hunting, but is just as fun for me to learn to use new calls and use them well. I try to find a call that I can not use very well and then work at it in the off season, kind of keeps turkey season in all year for me. I pick up, play watch a video, use or make a call almost every day of the year. This a way of life for me, this is what I do. I have gotten good advice on this board before that has saved me hours of frustration, so I come back and get help from a lot of great turkey hunting guys like myself. I kill turkeys year in and year out, some years are better than others, but I am convinced that realistic turkey calling has greatly added to that success. I have been learning about this thing called turkey hunting for 30 years now, and I am just as excited to learn something new as I was in 1986 when I began. I sure hope it stays that way.

crow

mspaci

I prefer this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPnzMPp5LQ

Just to add, I really dont like the newer style split v, batwing type calls. I like a triple reed no cut & an older style cutter call. They just sound more realistic & seem easier to use to me.  Mike

larry9988

Mike, what's the call name and maker of this type mouth call you mentioned? Thanks for you comment. Larry

EZ

Quote from: larry9988 on June 09, 2016, 10:42:59 PM
I have been a friction caller most of my turkey hunting career. I actually started out with mouth calls and called in quite a few turkeys with a Quaker Boy Jake Special 30 years ago before going to boxes and pots. I have been almost exclusively a trumpet man for the last 5 seasons. I decided I would like to learn to use a mouth call to add another type call to my vest. I have bought SEVERAL different call cuts from several different makers and it seems every cut call I blow is too raspy. I want some rasp in my calling that I don't get with uncut calls but it sounds excessive to me on the cut calls. Am I not using enough tongue pressure, is the call too far back, too far forward or what? I am striving toward a clear note that falls into rasp. Anyone have any suggestions or have I finally met my turkey call match? Also I have kind of a medium pallet and usually put a small bend in my frames. Is this part of my problem. I am stumped. Thought I could learn this before next spring but I am really starting to wonder. I already have the call magic dvd and have a hard time finding the clean spot on cut calls. Any help would be appreciated.

I agree that the cuts they're putting on most calls these days borders on the ridiculous. I like back end rasp but you also need to be able to get that clear, high pitched front note. The mouth call is my number one call ever since I first started hunting. I also placed in a number of contests in the late 80's and I still my two favorite "hunting" calls are a double latex reed call with a small cut on each side of the top reed (Perfection Raspy D or QB Old Boss Hen) and a triple reed "cutter" with the half moon cut on the top reed.

I taught alot of folks how to use a mouth call. One thing that's for sure is everyone's mouth and palate is different. You CAN bend the frame slightly to fit your mouth. Use a hand on each side of the frame and bend while keeping tension on the reeds.

SteelerFan

Quote from: EZ on June 11, 2016, 02:59:16 PM
Quote from: larry9988 on June 09, 2016, 10:42:59 PM

I agree that the cuts they're putting on most calls these days borders on the ridiculous. I like back end rasp but you also need to be able to get that clear, high pitched front note. The mouth call is my number one call ever since I first started hunting. I also placed in a number of contests in the late 80's and I still my two favorite "hunting" calls are a double latex reed call with a small cut on each side of the top reed (Perfection Raspy D or QB Old Boss Hen) and a triple reed "cutter" with the half moon cut on the top reed.

I taught alot of folks how to use a mouth call. One thing that's for sure is everyone's mouth and palate is different. You CAN bend the frame slightly to fit your mouth. Use a hand on each side of the frame and bend while keeping tension on the reeds.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Couple of my favorites as well...

In my younger years (late 70's?) I happened to be attending the Apple Blossom Parade in Winchester, Va. with my family - we were at a friend's house for a cook-out. They mentioned a friend of theirs was going to stop by also. I remember the gentleman was a pleasure to meet, and it wasn't long before the conversation between he and my father turned to hunting turkeys (and me, for the little I could contribute). I believe he was a teacher at the time - but mentioned he made turkey calls. He gave a couple of calls to me and my father to try - first I had ever seen a diaphragm call, and from then on I was hooked. His name was Jim Clay...

mspaci

I started making my own this year, mid season no less,because what was in the stores isnt as it used to be, very easy to do. No press or jig. I like a triple like a quaker boy pro-triple & a cuttin call like a Butski cuttin call 3. But, the older ones had bigger cuts. Thats why I started doing my own to. Much easier to get the front end & easy to control how much rasp you want than the split V calls.  Even the pro triple has rasp if you relax your toungue. I went upstate in ny & the younger guys in camp had never seen a call like these & really liked how they sounded. Every one was using a batwing, ghost, or V, they didnt sound good at all. Here as a pic of what I made, they all called birds,  Mike

EZ

Quote from: SteelerFan on June 11, 2016, 05:37:39 PM
His name was Jim Clay...

Great guy! I am good friends with the fellow who made all the pot calls for Perfection at one time (including the Screamin Deamon). Sold tons of mouth calls at Sport Shows. I think for 90% of the guys out there, keeping it simple works best.

larry9988

I have started making a little progress. I tried some of my new calls with out a bend or just a slight one. It made me move the call a little farther toward the front and it has helped some. The Simpson video has also helped me. It seems of the call types a V cut is working the best for me in that it is not as raspy as the other cut type calls when I use them. Does that mean I have a center flow of air? I have a couple of old boss hens and I can do a decent clear yelp on them. Still got a long way to go, but having a good time trying. Any one have any experience with a center slit type cut on a call such as a bacon or legacy evolution?  Just wondering how they compare to a V cut. I ordered a Bacon from Midwest and its on backorder.