turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Differences hunting with different guns

Started by Life of Riley, June 09, 2016, 05:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

Just wondering for those who have hunted with a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge what the biggest differences are. Any other nuggets about gun selection and turkey hunting are appreciated.

reynolds243

Weight

I hunt with both but use the 20 more these days. Lighter to carry and maneuver. Also I load TSS in my 20 so it's prob more deadly then my 12.

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

Farmboy27

I've never carried a 20 for turkeys but those that do seem to love them. I personally like the heft and feel of a little heavier gun. I bought a lite little deer rifle a few years back and sold it after one season. I thought that it would be just the ticket since we drive for deer and do a ton of walking, but I found that I feel more comfortable with the stability of a heavy gun. Figure it would be the same with a turkey gun.

Bowguy

Besides the already mentioned differences the amount of shot. Most 20s Max out around 1-1/4 oz shot or so. 12s can get you up to 2-1/4 oz w 3".,
Lots of guys will tell you about great 20 ga patterns. Usually it's harder to get there n may require shot sizes smaller than you're used to or is legal in some states.
That being said heavyweight 7s made by federal are great loads n I've seen great patterns. With the 12 you could use that size shot too.
Id shave a little Max yardage off most guns in a 20 for most people.
Also I'm a big fan of open forcing cones, some 12s come w em

dirt road ninja

Weight, range, and recoil. The 12 has more of all, but with a little research a 20 can be very deadly at normal ranges with factory ammo. I'd feel better with factory loaded HTL 7's in a well tuned 20 gauge then any lead load 12 gauge.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: dirt road ninja on June 09, 2016, 08:27:28 PM
Weight, range, and recoil. The 12 has more of all, but with a little research a 20 can be very deadly at normal ranges with factory ammo. I'd feel better with factory loaded HTL 7's in a well tuned 20 gauge then any lead load 12 gauge.
yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejake

The only range difference is due to the pattern.  A 20 g pellet has the same energy as a 12 g pellet (assuming same fps).  1.5 oz of  20 g HW7s has the same amount of pellets as 1.75 oz of 12g lead 6s, and more energy.

GobbleNut

Gauge does not matter.  Knowing how (and where) your gun shoots,...and at what ranges,...and then having the self-discipline to limit yourself to shots that you know you can make,...is what matters.  Know your gun, whatever you use, and know its (and your) limitations.

reynolds243

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 10, 2016, 12:35:04 PM
Gauge does not matter.  Knowing how (and where) your gun shoots,...and at what ranges,...and then having the self-discipline to limit yourself to shots that you know you can make,...is what matters.  Know your gun, whatever you use, and know its (and your) limitations.

I think that's obvious but the OP was asking the reason some choose one or the other which there is a difference for sure

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

owlhoot

Quote from: dirt road ninja on June 09, 2016, 08:27:28 PM
right there.

Farmboy27

Another point is what you pay for patterns in the 12 vs 20. The guys that love and praise the 20 are usually shooting heavy weight or TSS. Lead for lead a 12 will beat a 20. To beat a 12, you're gonna pay!  I just can't justify spending as much money per shell to shoot a 20 pound bird as what people spend to shoot a Cape buffalo or elephant. But lots of guys love tinkering with patterns and counting holes. It all depends what you like to spend you're money on!

owlhoot

Yes , good point as it does cost me $ 1.50 more per shot with the 20 and HW 7's . For this I get patterns and penetration I haven't been able to match with a 5 shot lead 12 gauge though.
So well worth it to me.
But somethings for shooter to consider.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Life of Riley on June 09, 2016, 05:57:04 PM
Any other nuggets about gun selection and turkey hunting are appreciated.

In my experience with chasing numbers, the ammo makes the gun not the other way around.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: dirt road ninja on June 10, 2016, 11:06:50 PM
Quote from: Life of Riley on June 09, 2016, 05:57:04 PM
Any other nuggets about gun selection and turkey hunting are appreciated.

In my experience with chasing numbers, the ammo makes the gun not the other way around.
x2.  Believer in this also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

All things equal, a 12 guage will always outperform the 20 guage. Now the 20 will make a fine turkey rig if you want to put the time and money into it. There is really no wrong answer just personal preference and how much money you want to invest in it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club