turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rem 870/ Rem SF Lead only.

Started by Longshanks, June 08, 2016, 08:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Just purchased a new 20 guage. Rem 870, 21" bbl, Camo/ SF Lead only choke,  for my kids to hunt with. Barrel looked smooth on the gun and couldn't pass it up. Anyone had any success with the SF and any particular load. Hoping to make a 40 yard gun but a solid 30-35 yard pattern would suffice with my kids on the trigger. Little margin for error wouldn't be a bad thing.

Greg Massey

That choke is .572 so i would get some 2 3/4 , 1oz. or 1 1/8, 6 shot or number 7 , it will have a lot to do with how young the kids are....you will have to try different shells and pattern the gun, that's the only way to find out, also with kids it's best to have a red dot or something were your only looking at one sight or dot on the target. Also get you some turkey targets for them to shot at, that will help them in knowing were to shot the bird.    Main thing is pattern the gun..

Longshanks

Have allot of different 20 guage shells. 3" XX 5's, 2.75"  Super X 6's, 7.5's, 8's. Also wondering if HTL will shoot through this choke? Have Hevi 13 6's, 7's, Fed HW 7's.  From what I read there seems to be conflicting information about whether or not it's a good idea. Should be enough of these chokes on the market that if there is a problem someone would have seen a damaged choke.

jordanz7935

The RSF .572 lead only is a good choke.My 870 20 ga was my only turkey gun growing up and mainly used 3" win supreme #5s and my gun really liked the federal grand slam 3" #5s also.Both proven turkey killers for me out to 35 yards.But that was long before I knew anything about counting hits in a 10" circle. Then I discovered federal HW #7 s. Game changer in the 20 ga. The HW#7s shoot well out of the rsf .572, I get nice hunting patterns,120-130  with mine.The HW#6s will do 105-115 type patterns through the rsf in my gun and they really hammer the birds.Most people I've seen have had around the same numbers with that choke and HWs. I've never heard of a single problem shooting htl through those chokes, like you say there's a ton of them out there and I've never heard of one failing.I know some guys use them with TSS.I'd skip the lead and go with the hevi 7s or the hw#7s.The 7s will make for a more forgiving pattern no matter what, due to pellet count.For next yr,I'm going to take out my sumtoy .562-5 and put the rsf .572 in for my nephew's first year of turkey hunting, just so he has more wiggle room in his pattern but still plenty effective out to 40.Good luck, you shouldn't have any problem making it a turkey killer with the shells and choke you already have!

WAGinVA

Longshanks

Quote from: jordanz7935 on June 09, 2016, 04:52:25 PM
The RSF .572 lead only is a good choke.My 870 20 ga was my only turkey gun growing up and mainly used 3" win supreme #5s and my gun really liked the federal grand slam 3" #5s also.Both proven turkey killers for me out to 35 yards.But that was long before I knew anything about counting hits in a 10" circle. Then I discovered federal HW #7 s. Game changer in the 20 ga. The HW#7s shoot well out of the rsf .572, I get nice hunting patterns,120-130  with mine.The HW#6s will do 105-115 type patterns through the rsf in my gun and they really hammer the birds.Most people I've seen have had around the same numbers with that choke and HWs. I've never heard of a single problem shooting htl through those chokes, like you say there's a ton of them out there and I've never heard of one failing.I know some guys use them with TSS.I'd skip the lead and go with the hevi 7s or the hw#7s.The 7s will make for a more forgiving pattern no matter what, due to pellet count.For next yr,I'm going to take out my sumtoy .562-5 and put the rsf .572 in for my nephew's first year of turkey hunting, just so he has more wiggle room in his pattern but still plenty effective out to 40.Good luck, you shouldn't have any problem making it a turkey killer with the shells and choke you already have!

Thank you, great information there. Going to shoot some this weekend. Will let you know the results.

BDeal

I contacted Remington on 3 different occasions and was told by 3 different reps that they do not recommend that choke with HTL

Longshanks

Quote from: BDeal on June 12, 2016, 11:15:46 PM
I contacted Remington on 3 different occasions and was told by 3 different reps that they do not recommend that choke with HTL

Did the representatives say that the lead choke is made out of a different material or not treated like the HTL choke? I ask because if the choke is made out of the same material and process, the difference between .572 and .575 is minuscule. Remington in the past makes decisions on what is suitable for HTL based on diameter of the choke only. If the choke is the same material/process I have no worries about shooting that choke. Remington states on their website that they donot recommend shooting HTL through a choke tighter than .665 in a 12g because it creates more open patterns..strange recommendation. Guess they didn't see that a .643 holds the world record with Hevi 13 2 ounce bronze shells. Love their guns and chokes but their info is a little strange. Guess it is safety first to avoid any sort of litigation.

BDeal

Quote from: Longshanks on June 13, 2016, 07:10:59 AM

Did the representatives say that the lead choke is made out of a different material or not treated like the HTL choke? I ask because if the choke is made out of the same material and process, the difference between .572 and .575 is minuscule. Remington in the past makes decisions on what is suitable for HTL based on diameter of the choke only. If the choke is the same material/process I have no worries about shooting that choke. Remington states on their website that they donot recommend shooting HTL through a choke tighter than .665 in a 12g because it creates more open patterns..strange recommendation. Guess they didn't see that a .643 holds the world record with Hevi 13 2 ounce bronze shells. Love their guns and chokes but their info is a little strange. Guess it is safety first to avoid any sort of litigation.

I did not ask them specifically why. I wish I would have. I asked a gun shop owner I have known for about 20 year also and he said not to use it with HTL as well so I gave up on it and  posted on here that I wanted a RSF Hevi Rated and was able to buy one just last week.

Longshanks

Quote from: BDeal on June 14, 2016, 11:06:44 AM
Quote from: Longshanks on June 13, 2016, 07:10:59 AM

I did not ask them specifically why. I wish I would have. I asked a gun shop owner I have known for about 20 year also and he said not to use it with HTL as well so I gave up on it and  posted on here that I wanted a RSF Hevi Rated and was able to buy one just last week.

Those are hard to find. Have been searching around for a Hevi approved SF.

Longshanks

Searched back through threads on this website and found allot of threads where folks are using the lead only choke without any issues. That's enough insurance for me to shoot the RSF with HTL. Folks on this website do more testing with guns/ chokes/ shells than anyone I have seen.

Longshanks

Rem 870 20guage/ RSF .572

157 in a 10 at 40.   Fed HW 3" 7's

*POA/ POI dead on. Shooting double beads.
*Best lead pattern was Win Super X 2 3/4 7.5's. (30yds)

BDeal

Very nice! How is your 20 yard pattern? Tight or pretty forgiving?

jordanz7935

Quote from: Longshanks on June 15, 2016, 04:36:11 PM
Rem 870 20guage/ RSF .572

157 in a 10 at 40.   Fed HW 3" 7's

*POA/ POi dead on. Shooting double beads.
Bingo!! Sounds like a winning combo! Glad it worked out for you. Good luck with your 20ga.

Longshanks

Definitely tight at 15-20yds..but not Longbeard tight. Comfortable with shooting beads. Shot a couple of 15 yd patterns.