OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey poults in NY.

Started by milertyme03, June 02, 2016, 11:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milertyme03

Just saw a hen and about a half dozen poults in Northern Ny, St. Lawrence County.  This was yesterday, 6/1.  I could just see them over the freshly cut hay. 

Thought it seemed early for this area.  I clearly remember seeing a hen being bred last year I n the same date.  Hopefully all the dry weather will help the hatch in NY.  Tom numbers seem down again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

njdevilsb

It's nice to hear.

I also agree on tom numbers.  We only saw 3 on our main lease this whole season.  The road that the property is on is typically loaded with birds and the last couple of years we have only seen a few here and there.  We did have some jakes on the property this season though which is a plus after we didn't see any at all last year.

hobbes

I saw a hen with very small poults in NW Montana yesterday.   

Dr Juice

I saw this hen on 5/21. There were about 8 hatchlings with mom. What an awesome site.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Was up in central Vermont hunting last weekend and encountered a hen w 11 poults that appeared to be several days old.

Didn't expect to see that this early but it certainly explained the total silence we experienced for 3 days of hunting from 415 am until 12 noon.

milertyme03

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 02, 2016, 05:14:30 PM
Was up in central Vermont hunting last weekend and encountered a hen w 11 poults that appeared to be several days old.

Didn't expect to see that this early but it certainly explained the total silence we experienced for 3 days of hunting from 415 am until 12 noon.
Ditto.  No gobbling last week of hunting by me when I knew birds were there.  Luckily I fired up 6 Jake's just b4 quitting time on the last day of season and dropped 1.  It was amazing l, last call I made b4 done 4 season, almost back to vehicle.  Normally pass on them, but not that close to the end.  Still fun!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk