OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2017 turkey hunting trip

Started by 4birddogs, May 30, 2016, 10:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4birddogs

hello , I would like some help planning  a turkey  hunting trip out of state.  I am in Georgia, have been hunting  turkey since  77, but never been out of state. I do not know what is happening to our turkeys  in Ga. but  they are declining fast. I would like to go somewhere I could hear some gobbling on public land. I do not want  a guide or  a lodge. want  public land and a cheap motel room. I am not asking about specific  areas , but states. right now I am thinking  Mo.     would like it to   a days drive or less from Ga..I have not kept up with the quality of  hunting in Mo. over the last couple years. would like to hear any and all suggestions. would like to start planning and preparing now for next spring, may even make  a trip to look around. again please do not  burn me I am not looking for  specific area but states.

Ozark870Hunter

MO is a fine state to hunt turkeys in. Lots of public options all over the state, and our turkey population is pretty good after several decent spring hatches.
Be advised you get 2 tags and can only fill 1 the first week of season, can only hunt till 1pm, and can't tag 2 birds on the same day. I would also advise a scouting trip before season to familiarize yourself with the area you plan to hunt, and to scout out as many options as possible, because we do see some decent out of state hunter pressure. I've seen plates from LA, GA, MS, AR, PA, on public spots. Lot of hunters are within a day's drive distance. Good to have options a,b,c,and d.
South half of the state is mainly hardwoods, ridgetops, hollers, and rough hilly terrain. (My preference).
North half of the state is more open farm country more like KS or NE.
Pm sent.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

4birddogs

Spurs

I would suggest somewhere completely different from your home turf.  To me, part of the adventure is seeing different sites, cultures, and tactics. 

Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

tha bugman

Quote from: Ozark870Hunter on May 30, 2016, 11:46:17 AM
MO is a fine state to hunt turkeys in. Lots of public options all over the state, and our turkey population is pretty good after several decent spring hatches.
Be advised you get 2 tags and can only fill 1 the first week of season, can only hunt till 1pm, and can't tag 2 birds on the same day. I would also advise a scouting trip before season to familiarize yourself with the area you plan to hunt, and to scout out as many options as possible, because we do see some decent out of state hunter pressure. I've seen plates from LA, GA, MS, AR, PA, on public spots. Lot of hunters are within a day's drive distance. Good to have options a,b,c,and d.
South half of the state is mainly hardwoods, ridgetops, hollers, and rough hilly terrain. (My preference).
North half of the state is more open farm country more like KS or NE.
Pm sent.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk