OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thank you everyone for the help! Bagged my first mature eastern!

Started by Sevenyearsandcounting, May 26, 2016, 07:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevenyearsandcounting

The drought is over folks! 23 days of hunting! 24 lb turkey! Man I've never been this excited about bagging any other animal! My god. Bagged at 6am. My dad and I are so relieved and ecstatic! He's a beast! Can't wait to figure out this posting so I can show you guys! Thanks again for all the encouragement and tips and tough love even was appreciated!

trkehunr93

Congrats!  Save the pic to something like photobucket and copy and paste the image link into this post.  If using tapatalk, you can just edit the post and insert the picture from your phone.  Nothing better than those off the roost hunts!

Tail Feathers

Congrats!
Now that the ice is broken I'm sure you'll bag the next one much faster.
Now get to work on those pictures!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

congrats, glad you got your bird. i agree nothing else like it.

jepcho

Dr Juice

SinGin

Now your hooked. Congratulations, you'll always remember the first bird.

Sevenyearsandcounting

Limb hanger for sure! Going out tomorrow to call for my dad and help him bag a bird, maybe my own too, we have a group of toms rumbling around together on our small oak stand.

We've had them come within 50 yards of us but behind brush. They're there. We will wait them out. My dads GREAT at late season birds. He has such an awesome knack of cutting them once or twice and stopping. It just drives the bosses mad! He also does the best fly down cackle and has a hat he wears especially to mimic the wing beat on the way down.

That was always what got me closest. Late season as a kid was our best time to hunt. I think it'll be the same this week. I have 6 birds located and I also have this hilarious flock of jakes located. They run around like bouncing all over the place and even running into each other lol. We will leave them alone.

Time for bed! Getting up in like 2.5 hours lol. Slipping in at 4AM has increased turkey gobbling in our spots and I think it's helping a ton. That bird today had no clue what was happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sevenyearsandcounting

The bird was 23.25 but I just rounded down to 23. His Spurs are 1 inch in the dot. They are worn down old Spurs. Fat fat base of the spur and you can see major wear and tear.

His beard is the most amazing part to everyone. So many people gawked at it when I was at the hardware store getting the board to dry the tail and beard on.

All the men wanted to pick him lol. "This birds every bit of 26 lbs!"

Haha I had to let them weigh it because I knew that was a gross exaggeration. None the less! Yes I'm hooked!

Thanks guys for the kind words! Hope I can add another to the mix for my dad or myself tomorrow!

LI Outdoorsman

Awesome bird...congrats...Hard work always pays off in turkey killin!

Sevenyearsandcounting

birddogdoc

Good heck!  Gigantor!!  That one was worth the wait!  Nice job!!

FANMAN

Sevenyearsandcounting

Quote from: FANMAN on May 27, 2016, 11:10:29 AM
Congrats. to both you and your Dad,nice bird.
Thanks fan man. My dad deserves a literal trophy for the patience and perseverance.

My god. Think about it? We tried all this time and finally get one and its a giant? Nothing worth it comes easy. Turkey hunting is a perfect example.

Happy

I am very happy for you. Persistence usually pays off. I am happy to see there are still people willing to work their tails off for a goal. Enjoy the moment and keep working on getting better. You will experience great highs and as you already know some pretty great lows. True turkey hunting is a game that takes time to master. Just like you I am still working at it and always strive to improve. Enjoy it and always remember that a bad day can change at any moment and if your turkey hunting it's a good day anyways. Best wishes and keep at it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club