turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Change your red dot batteries

Started by Bolandstrutters, May 23, 2016, 08:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolandstrutters

I learned the hard way this weekend.  I always check before I hunt to make sure it comes on.  So i checked Friday before I headed to Kansas and off I went.  Went and hunted some public that I hunted during archery and they must of put a hurting on them during gun season because birds were non existent.  Finally I found a lone longbeard about 500 yards out in a cut corn field.  I just so happened to bring a fan with me from a bird I killed in Missouri a few weeks ago.  I've never attempted to fan a turkey, I enjoy working them in with a call.  But it was my last day of the season to hunt so I was willing to try anything.  I sneak up closer to the edge of the field and throw the fan up at about my head level.  I was standing in waste high brush at the time.  At this point he's still 400 yards away just feeding.  Finally he turns towards me and sees the fan and instantly his head turns blood red and he goes into strut.  I crawl around a little to get in better position to watch him and when I look back up he is gone.  So im peaking my head up trying to figure out where he went and there he is about 30 yards coming through the brush in strut.  Can just see the top of his fan.  So i prop the fan up with some brush and get ready for the shot.  Turn on the red dot and to my surprise, deader than a doornail.  So i'm flipping out and now I cant see him again.  a few seconds later I hear something to my right and there he is, gobbles at maybe 5 feet.  I did my best to aim under the red dot, but couldnt pick him up.  Beyond frustrating! 

BDeal

I will never own a dot sight for this reason. I can rely on my scope or truglo sights without this issue. Sorry about that happening to you. That really does suck

WAGinVA

That is the reason I went with a Burris SpeedBead mount.  Even if the batteries are dead the ff3 is low enough that I can still comfortably use the bead on the barrel. 

Bolandstrutters

Yep, love the red dot but will be looking for other options next spring. 

Roost 1

Center him up in the scope and pull the trigger...

guesswho

Good reason to turn it on before hand, and carry spare batteries.  I switched to a red dot over a scope about five years ago and glad I did.  I like both, but prefer the red dot. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gobspur

Newer red dots are better about battery life like my vortex lasts 5000 hrs or something.  New battery at beginning of season and your good.  Vortex also has one with the dot reticle etched in the glass so you can see even without it lighted.  But like roost said, center the scope of him and shoot.  At 30 yds you should kill him.

Bolandstrutters

Quote from: lindllc on May 23, 2016, 09:41:35 AM
Newer red dots are better about battery life like my vortex lasts 5000 hrs or something.  New battery at beginning of season and your good.  Vortex also has one with the dot reticle etched in the glass so you can see even without it lighted.  But like roost said, center the scope of him and shoot.  At 30 yds you should kill him.

Yep should have done that, but he was probably 7 yards when I shot so there wasn't a lot of room for error.  I'm going to get something with a lower mount that I can co witness with my sights.  No excuses then!

Turkeyman

I've used a red dot for many years and, luckily, have never had an issue.  A couple things however, 1. With mine, the battery lasts a long time...a couple turkey seasons, at least. I know to change the battery if I have to have the setting above 8 to get "normal" brightness. 2. In the event it ever goes dead, I know where I have to hold on a target for center pattern...sight it in thusly at the range. So, if that ever happens to me I'm still good to go.

BowBendr

I can still see the top of my bead thru my sight glass. If the dot on my FF goes dead in the middle of a hunt, I have shot it enough to know where to hold on the bird to kill him. Know your gun...

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

yelpaholic

had the same thing happen to my little girl on a group of three longbeards   dot was on then it just died as they got close enough ...  snatched it off when we got home.

dejake

at 7 yards, aim for the middle of the body.

WNCTracker

Quote from: Roost 1 on May 23, 2016, 09:08:06 AM
Center him up in the scope and pull the trigger...
worked for me once

Dr Juice

Boy, that sux. Better luck next time.

Greg Massey

That very reason is why i have saddle mounts on all my turkey guns. All mine are were you can still see the sights under the red dot and scopes..