Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

9 hours on the road, one hour in the field, and a Rio gets a truck ride.

Started by Ozark870Hunter, May 22, 2016, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozark870Hunter

Thought I was done.
Had already unpacked the gear, calls, decoys, and cleaned the scattergun.
Posted up a season recap.

Only filled one NE tag last weekend, and as I was packing up to leave camp that evening, there was a rio gobbling his brains off to every cow that mooed, crow that cawed, and owl hoot I made about 100 yards behind me.
Thought I had to work Saturday, but ended up having the whole weekend off...
Figured that tom is probably still in that same prime roosting spot, and he was.
Hit the road leaving MO Friday evening around 6:30 pm. Got to the public spot around 3:30am
My hour long power nap became 2 hrs and I was scrambling to get set up by 6am. 5 minutes later he fired off.
Horrible overcast weather with 20 mph winds and a little rain, and he responded to my calls once then shut up. 2 gobbles was all I got.
I caught a glimpse of him across the timbered creek. Nice tom stuck in strut.He had pitched down on the other side, and had 5-6 hens with him. They were headed around the bend towards a short grass field bordered by the creek and a prairie grass hill that I had glassed them feeding in the weekend before. 
I knew the tall grassy hill would make a great ambush spot and hide my approach so I backed out and around and set up on the field edge in the tall grass with a feeding hen decoy in the field.
Few clucks and purrs on my mouth call and the hens appeared around the bend, with the tom in tow.
He stepped within 30 yrds and got a round of 3" #5 LB XR.
7am, 21lbs, 10" beard, 1 1/8 spurs.
Packed up and was headed home by 9 am. 18 hrs total drive time, 1 hr afield.
Going to have him mounted.
I'm really done for real now, I think!
Been one heck of a season.
Gonna be a looooong wait till spring 2017!

United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

Prohunter3509

shedhunta

BBD

SteelerFan

tomstopper

husker

Very nice!  What part of NE was that?  I've struck out in the SE part both weekends.  Not a single gobble.  I was starting to think the party is over.

Ozark870Hunter

Quote from: husker on May 22, 2016, 06:27:25 PM
Very nice!  What part of NE was that?  I've struck out in the SE part both weekends.  Not a single gobble.  I was starting to think the party is over.
Pm sent.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms

Dr Juice

Ozark870Hunter

Thanks fellas. This was my first year hunting out of state, diy, solo on public land for turkey. I'm afraid this has ignited quite the fire, and I foresee many miles and state lines crossed in my future.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jepcho

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

stinkpickle

Quote from: Ozark870Hunter on May 22, 2016, 08:21:55 PM
Thanks fellas. This was my first year hunting out of state, diy, solo on public land for turkey. I'm afraid this has ignited quite the fire, and I foresee many miles and state lines crossed in my future.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: