OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

tractor in the public land food plot I'm hunting

Started by 2eagles, May 22, 2016, 08:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

This year has been a tough one. Last year I filled both Iowa tags on public land in less than one hour. This year nothing has gone right. I did fill my season one tag on the last day. Then in season 4, I hunted hard, but mushroom hunters, hens and other weird things have really messed me up. I had two more days to hunt because no matter what I wasn't going to hunt Sunday, the last day. So I went to my favorite corner of a old corn field food plot that didn't get planted last year. I have seen hens and a strutter in this field this year and knew it would be a good place. I got there dark and early to set up my blind. Heard a gobbler behind me and everything was looking good. Watched a couple of hens and then this happened!

I talked to the man when he was finished and he said they would be back tomorrow to plant. It was only 10AM when he left so I decided to stay put to see what would happen. Minutes later a Tom was 12 feet from my blind, not happy and sneaking back into the timber. OK, so I missed the shot because he was so close. Mad at myself, I'm sitting there trying to cool down when I spotted a bird on the far side of the field. I think it was a hen and while watching her, I was able to fill my tag when two of 'um charged my jake decoy. Guess I got my moneys worth out of my licenses this year!

jepcho

Hey congrats man!  At least you got your tags filled.  I hunted 3rd and 4th this year and my 3rd season tag was filled right away.  4th season was tough for me, I finally filled that tag on thursday morning after several tough hunts. Great story man, glad you got it done!

Greg Massey

Good job, patience's is the name of the game.

tomstopper

Tail Feathers

Congrats!  Way to close it out in style.
Sticking to it pays off.  It makes sense, birds love a fresh plowed field.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

trkehunr93

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 22, 2016, 09:53:49 PM
Congrats!  Way to close it out in style.
Sticking to it pays off.  It makes sense, birds love a fresh plowed field.
Congrats!  They do love a plowed field.