OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kansas Rio Recommendations

Started by dejake, May 22, 2016, 06:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dejake

Any recommendations for a Rio outfitter in Kansas?  Thanks

GSLAM95

Spend just one day riding around a river or creek basin road, spot birds, start nocking on doors and you will have permission to hunt as there is really no need for an outfitter in KS. Just my  :z-twocents:

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Borat

No need for an outfitter or private land. The public land in Kansas has excellent bird numbers. Do some online research and you'll have no problem filling tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

spaightlabs

Quote from: FeatheredHat on May 23, 2016, 06:00:37 AM
No need for an outfitter or private land. The public land in Kansas has excellent bird numbers. Do some online research and you'll have no problem filling tags.

I'd say that before you just jump in the truck and head for the promised land you should do a forum search on this very topic...several posts in the last 2 weeks that are contradictory to this advice.

Maybe they just want to keep the motherlode to themselves, or maybe they are just telling the truth.

BowBendr

Absolutely disagree 100%. Bird numbers are way down in several areas and all that public land everybody speaks of gets absolutely hammered. I know several pots of tag soup that are simmering on the stove as we speak. ;)

jblackburn

Quote from: BowBendr on May 23, 2016, 04:28:52 PM

Absolutely disagree 100%. Bird numbers are way down in several areas and all that public land everybody speaks of gets absolutely hammered. I know several pots of tag soup that are simmering on the stove as we speak. ;)

Most guys go too early. Go in May and you will have to clean turkeys instead of boiling tags. :)
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

BowBendr

^^ I did go in May, got mine. Just know many that struggled...:)

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

stinkpickle

As with any outfitter, ask for references.  ;)

dejake

I was thinking of doing an FYI, but as previously stated, a lot of tag soup threads lately.

Hooksfan

I just got back from there.  What I will say is 100% truth and no BS involved.
I had tagged out in the first week of the season there and had a good friend who wanted to get his first Rio, so I took him to a place I have hunted for a few years.
Two guys from Colorado had been out and had killed four birds using a turkey fan umbrella. Different strokes I guess.
A group of guys from Arkansas had just left this private land and according to the landowner none of them killed. Now, 10 years ago, no one would have ever been able to find this extremely out of the way place.
Now it is hammered harder than any public places out there 10 years ago.
I was able to get my buddy a bird, bur it was only because the farmer told us to go behind his house where he had been hearing one and he normally didn't allow hunting.
On two occasions, I slowed down to glass hens in a field from a distance of 400 yards and before I could get the truck stopped, they took off running like banshees.
Ten years ago, you could have pulled up within shotgun range of birds out there and they would have never paid any attention.
Now, you tell me what has caused this change?

JK Spurs

Quote from: Hooksfan on May 23, 2016, 07:16:50 PM
I had tagged out in the first week of the season there and had a good friend who wanted to get his first Rio, so I took him to a place I have hunted for a few years.
Two guys from Colorado had been out and had killed four birds using a turkey fan umbrella. Different strokes I guess.
A group of guys from Arkansas had just left this private land and according to the landowner none of them killed. Now, 10 years ago, no one would have ever been able to find this extremely out of the way place.
I was able to get my buddy a bird, bur it was only because the farmer told us to go behind his house where he had been hearing one and he normally didn't allow hunting.
On two occasions, I slowed down to glass hens in a field from a distance of 400 yards and before I could get the truck stopped, they took off running like banshees.
Ten years ago, you could have pulled up within shotgun range of birds out there and they would have never paid any attention.
Believe the word your looking for is "Pressure"...
I like my turkey well peppered

Gumby

I doubt those Arkansas guys left empty handed...just saying. Could be part of the problem

stinkpickle

Quote from: dejake on May 23, 2016, 06:50:59 PM
I was thinking of doing an FYI, but as previously stated, a lot of tag soup threads lately.

It really depends on how much time you'll have available.  Scouting on your own can take a few hours...or it can take a few days.

WV Ridge Reaper

This forum has caused a lot of it..You have better luck sleeping with my ol lady then knowing where I hunt at.

Been to KS two years now and bird numbers are down.

I remember one guy on here that got wound pretty tight about out of staters coming to KS.I can now say I don't blame him one bit.