OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

River Cane Yelpers.

Started by old3toe, May 21, 2016, 07:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3toe

Hello guys. I wanted to post up some pics of the river cane calls I've been making. I also have some for sale. If I'm not supposed to post here please let me know or feel free to delete. They're the same concept as the wing bone yelper except made with river cane. I started out making a few for friends and myself then got a few requests from others so I made some up for a small charge. I started messing around with the ends and pieces leftover from the river cane arrows I make for my long bows. I have personalized some with requested names, painted small scenes, and made some pretty basic looking. Materials used to finish and decorate vary a bit from call to call. No two are alike just as with the tones and sounds they produce. The larger calls with the larger diameter barrel produce louder more raspy notes and the smaller barreled calls produce a higher pitched young hen type note. I even made one from deer antler, river cane, and turkey wing bone. A few others from shotgun shell hulls and river cane too. The shell and cane combo have the sweetest raspy sound of them all I think, I guess because of the larger barrel and the thin plastic it's made from. I managed to lose my first one on a hunt this spring.lol not sure how but it was my favorite:( Isn't that the way it goes?lol Anyway I'll post up some pics. I'm not trying to get rich or compete with you professional call makers. Just thought it'd be something for the guys to learn on before stepping it up to the high end calls or for the ones that just can't afford those beautiful handmade calls we all dream about.

old3toe

old3toe

The last two pics are of the call i made from deer antler which is the barrel, river cane middle section, and wing bone mouth piece.

troutfisher13111

old3toe

If anyone's interested in one please pm me. $17 shipped for just the plainer calls without lanyard and $22 shipped for the ones with lanyard. Thanks for looking.

mgm1955

old3toe

old3toe

Here's a pic of the first one I made for myself. I was asked about a lip stop and if I had any. I don't have much experience with them. I learned with out one and it seems like I can get better sound without it. I did make this one with a slip on/off home made stop to give it a try. I didn't like it but left it on for looks.lol I think they look better with it but feels like something is in my way when using the. Maybe I just don't know the proper technique? I also made a Flemish twist lanyard for this one. Hope you like it.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I like the primitive look of your calls.  I think they truly represent this great American folk art of turkey calls.  Thank you for sharing. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

EZ

Nice traditional "old school" look.

Crawdad

They look great 3 toes

old3toe

Thanks guys! That's what I was hoping for. Not to fancy and a more primitive natural look. Something you don't see a lot of these days.

old3toe

Here's a few pics of the the shotgun shell calls.

markjm15

They look good! Keep the pics coming!
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

BowBendr

Those are super sharp, great work 3toe !!

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions