OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A SlingShot Slam

Started by GSLAM95, May 19, 2016, 04:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSLAM95

Looks like a nice place for snakes to hang out doesn't it.

I would say these roost trees get used year round and year after year by generations of turkeys judging by the droppings underneath. 
I witnessed up to 8 hens in each tree one evening as they were flying up.  I was camping within a 1/4 mile of them and at 11pm I went out and scattered those hens off the limb.  The next morning was an easy and short hunt as I was set up within 80 yards of where the Gobblers were roosted.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

GSLAM95

Tommy Strutsalot

I'm absolutely blown away by those pictures. Thanks for sharing, what an awesome experience that must've been. 

GSLAM95

The bird pictured above had a double beard

and some pretty nice spurs for a Merriams

GSLAM95

GSLAM95

GSLAM95

GSLAM95

For those of you that enjoy trumpet calls as much as I do here are some of my favorites and each of these are made from the same type of wood. 
Can anyone name that wood?
From Left to Right  Frank Cox's short version, Steve Lumma & Herb Hornstra

Although I may have posted this picture already I also want to give another shout out to Matt McClain for this Bourbon Acrylic trumpet as well.

Tagged out in 7 states, A SlingShot Slam and another with the 20 gauge to make it a double single season slam, blessed to be part of many other turkey hunts where I watched friends and loved ones connect as well.

Yes Lord you have given me much enjoyment and peace through many turkey hunts and I am a blessed man that you allow me the honor, the health & strength to share this heritage and to enjoy this renewable resource that we all love so much. 
I take the time to look back now just as I did when I took the picture below and say to God, my family and my friends I love all of you and am truly blessed to have you.  :mycross:   

spaightlabs

Quote from: GSLAM95 on May 20, 2016, 01:33:19 PM

I witnessed up to 8 hens in each tree one evening as they were flying up.  I was camping within a 1/4 mile of them and at 11pm I went out and scattered those hens off the limb.  The next morning was an easy and short hunt as I was set up within 80 yards of where the Gobblers were roosted.

Some amazing pics and great hunts.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem like a better hunter than to have to resort to busting hens off a roost at 11PM so you can kill a tom the next morning.  To me this smacks of wildlife harassment and a 'kill at all costs' mentality.

I'm a big supporter of if it's legal and it fits within your personal ethic, go for it, but intentionally disturbing/running wildlife off isn't legal here.  Maybe it is where you took that bird.

Anyway, lotta neat birds with the mini bow.

GSLAM95

spaightlabs,

Sent you a PM
#1) Small tract of property to hunt.
#2) Was leaving for another state late morning the next day, so yes it was a last ditch effort.  I have seen this tactic backfire as much as I have seen it work as vocal smart hens the next AM can take a Tom to the next county in a hurry.
Sorry you feel the need to question my ethics.  Hopefully you don't live in a glass house..

spaightlabs

PM received and replied.

Not saying you are unethical at all. Like the fanning discussions that have taken place here, or in waterfowl hunting, the conversations about using spinners or roost jumping snow geese.

Thanks for the conversation and hope the rest of your season goes well.

You definitely get some miles under your boots to do what you did.

ferocious calls

Congrats John! Mighty fine spring!

ncwoodsman

Amazing pictures and what a season you had. Congrats!

sixbird

O.k....Now I can die at peace. I've seen everything...A slingshot. A slingshot! WHAT???!!!
Congrats man. That's quite an accomplishment! And the pics...Awesome! I worship at your feet   :)

Spring_Woods

"Was that a gobble?":gobble: