turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A SlingShot Slam

Started by GSLAM95, May 19, 2016, 04:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSLAM95

I just finished one of the most rewarding seasons for me to date as I hunted 7 states - FL, TN, IL, KS, NE, WY & SD. 
I was able to complete not one but 2 Single season Grand Slams and one of them was  A  SlingShot Slam!
I put 6 birds in the dirt with the slingshot, 10 with the 20 gauge and was part of 8 more as well that I watched other hunters pull the trigger on and feel blessed to have been there for each.

After discussing with a familiar publication I think the slingshot slam may end up in ink so I am just going to do a picture post compiled from a good portion of this season with a comment here and there.  If anyone has any questions feel free to ask as I am going to post many pictures over the next few days. 

The Slingshot Slam..
Florida - Osceola

Tennessee - Eastern

Kansas - Rio

NW Nebraska - Merriams

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

GSLAM95

Here is the SlingShot -

It is made by gearhead archery and called a Slingblade. 
You can check it out at gearheadarchery.com but the model I used and the model in the picture on the web is a prototype and there will be a few changes made to it in the very near future. 

honker22

Never heard of such.  Looks cool though.  Congrats on the slam
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Gooserbat

Congratulations John.  Glad you got it done, wish it would have worked out for you to have made it down my way.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

kyturkeyhunter4

GSLAM95

I will get back to turkey pictures after this but thought there may be some interest in the equipment as well. 

I am pulling 42 lbs draw weight at 29" and was shooting a full length arrow with blazer vanes.  The broadheads used were the Turkey D-Cap by Solid broadhed company and my personal 1st choice The Gobbler Guillotine 4"x4".

Stability in arrow flight was achieved with blazers due to an insert developed by a newer insert company out there called Ethics Archery.  There special insert spins very easily and thus keeps the wind planing down to a minimum.  The inserts do weigh in at 75 grains but speed is not as much factor here as KE with this set-up.  The knurled section you see between my fingers in the pic below is the only portion that gets glued into the shaft.

Here is a short video of the insert installed and how easily the broadhead spins for those interested in stabilizing those big head chopper type broadheads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZF5L13APw&feature=youtu.be

GSLAM95

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 19, 2016, 06:00:22 PM
Congratulations John.  Glad you got it done, wish it would have worked out for you to have made it down my way.

Sam I would have loved to made it down but the time restraints just made it impossible to hit OK & TX this time around.  We will do it in the future though as I would enjoy sharing camp with you anytime my friend.

GSLAM95

Lets start with a beautiful Florida sunrise...

Some Osceola Hens

This ol Girl didn't care much for our company

She finally was worn out, hot and took a nap less than 10 yards away

GSLAM95

Lets just say it was not so lucky for my buddy from Florida's truck :(
Yep - high centered & not going anywhere..

GSLAM95

GSLAM95

The opening day of TN season I enjoyed the day with good friend and OG member Matt McClain and a wounded warrior that was all part of the TN Governors One Shot hunt.  It was an exciting morning with multiple set-ups that had a great ending.   

A special thank you to Matt for this Bourbon Acrylic Trumpet as I know you don't make many of them!

Mitch your growing up fast buddy..

dutch@fx4

GSLAM95

GSLAM95

GSLAM95