OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Bowhunting for turkeys book idea questions  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Kevin6Q

Bowhunting for turkeys book idea questions
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:43:04 PM »
I've been thinking about writing a book  about bowhunting for turkeys. This is not a money making proposition and if I sell 10 of them it will be considered a success.

Most of my turkey hunting is done in the woods without a blind and presents a lot of variability with setups and shots. There is most likely not enough info for a book  but too much for a booklet. What information would you like to read? With equipment changing and manufacturers coming and going I'd like to stay away from speaking about "brand X". The equipment will be more along these lines: "I shoot an Elite because I was able to draw it with the least movement. The Obsession I had previous was a great bow but the end of the draw cycle the bow just dumped in and there was a lot of excess movement which I didn't like. Not the actual draw but my inability to draw quickly and settle fast. Most mid to high end bows today are really very good and choose a rig you have the most confidence in." This generic writing can sound wishy washy. Same with sights. Shoot what works for you. I like a single pin slider for clarity and most shots are under 20 yards so 1 pin works.

Most of what will be written is preparing to bowhunt. My most successful hunts were when I was prepared. When I trained to shoot sitting down, from odd angles, etc. Knowing my gear was paramount so I had confidence in what was brought into the woods.

The actual setup is so important to keep the hunter concealed and allow for the ability to draw.

The actual strategy of calling and scouting has been covered by just about every turkey hunting book I've ever read  so not much about that.

Hunting from a blind is pretty much the same as gun hunting from a blind so there will not be much on this either.

There are no secrets to success beyond being prepared but knowing what to be prepared for and how to prepare for most of the eventualities will be the focus.

What would you like to see in a book about bowhunting for turkeys?

Offline Ozark870Hunter

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »
I like the idea.
I shoot an Xpedition and know exactly what you mean about the dump.
I'd like to know what has and hasn't worked for you. Broadheads, bow setup like poundage, ata, how to make a natural ground blind set up, when to draw, where to aim, how to determine where to setup based on available forage/cover.
Tried my hand at turkey hunting with the bow but from a blind a few times this season. Never got a shot. I might be your first book customer lol.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

Offline BBD

Re: Bowhunting for turkeys book idea questions
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
You've got my attention

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:13:16 AM »
It would be an interesting read. 

Offline beakbuster10

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »
Are you looking for what we'd like to read, or what we'd like to suggest as a I bowhunt turkeys also? Sometimes I hunt in a blind and sometimes I go to the woods blindness all depends on the bird I'm going to hunt any given day. I think this is an awesome topic that doesn't have much coverage at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 01:30:21 PM »
Shot placement should have good illustrations. There are several bow mounted blinds that could discussed. Decoy use is important to a bowhunter. Aiming your book at beginners is a good idea because your tactics could be more advanced then you think. Meaning I always buy bowhunting turkey related books. Hunting from a ground blind is not a sure thing. Calling is important. I would lean towards covering everything A-Z bottom line. I think you would sell more books. The bow manufacture should be left out IMO. We can get on archery talk and read that hype. Lots to think about. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Kevin6Q

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 06:47:16 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the reply and information. I'd like to know what you want to read about, what questions do you have etc.?

I'm a bit torn as to including manufacturers in the text. The example of the Elite v the Obsession was mostly for illustrative purpose. Bows and gear change. The name brand info might be out of date when the thing is printed.

Shot placement is HUGE and many of my thoughts are how to train to achieve the best chances of putting the arrow into the small spot. I've taken shots from my knees, sitting in chairs, on the ground. all twisted up, etc. If the hunter is not prepared to take these shots the likelyhood of a miss is gigantic. I'd like to shed light on how the hunter can increase the chance of a kill shot. Without a blind, calling a bird into a spot where a shot is possible is so difficult so the one cold shot  must be solid even if the position is odd.

The setup is crucial to success. The book will detail what to look for in a good blindless setup. Why scouting for the setup spot is as or more important then where the birds are. I know lots of places where turkeys can be hunted but not many of them are bow friendly. How do we change this or what do we look for. Part of successful is actually seeing the woods. The one small branch we miss is what the arrow will hit and deflect off etc.

How does a bowhunter run a slate or a scratchbox and still hold the bow? Organizing the hunt is so critical because the hunter is so exposed. How do you set up in order to still see the woods and enable the draw. This is the stuff i yearned for when I started but most of it was unavailable. Most bowhunting info is described from a blind and I have very little interest in blind hunting.

OF course there will be stories. Any decent turkey book has hunting tales; some of them true and all of them entertaining.

The book will have many illustrations and photographs. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

My original post is seeking information on what you'd like to read about.

Please keep the questions and comments coming. They are all valuable to me and appreciated.

Offline DavePwns

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the reply and information. I'd like to know what you want to read about, what questions do you have etc.?

I'm a bit torn as to including manufacturers in the text. The example of the Elite v the Obsession was mostly for illustrative purpose. Bows and gear change. The name brand info might be out of date when the thing is printed.

Shot placement is HUGE and many of my thoughts are how to train to achieve the best chances of putting the arrow into the small spot. I've taken shots from my knees, sitting in chairs, on the ground. all twisted up, etc. If the hunter is not prepared to take these shots the likelyhood of a miss is gigantic. I'd like to shed light on how the hunter can increase the chance of a kill shot. Without a blind, calling a bird into a spot where a shot is possible is so difficult so the one cold shot  must be solid even if the position is odd.

The setup is crucial to success. The book will detail what to look for in a good blindless setup. Why scouting for the setup spot is as or more important then where the birds are. I know lots of places where turkeys can be hunted but not many of them are bow friendly. How do we change this or what do we look for. Part of successful is actually seeing the woods. The one small branch we miss is what the arrow will hit and deflect off etc.

How does a bowhunter run a slate or a scratchbox and still hold the bow? Organizing the hunt is so critical because the hunter is so exposed. How do you set up in order to still see the woods and enable the draw. This is the stuff i yearned for when I started but most of it was unavailable. Most bowhunting info is described from a blind and I have very little interest in blind hunting.

OF course there will be stories. Any decent turkey book has hunting tales; some of them true and all of them entertaining.

The book will have many illustrations and photographs. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

My original post is seeking information on what you'd like to read about.

Please keep the questions and comments coming. They are all valuable to me and appreciated.
Did you end up writing anything?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin6Q

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
Yes i've been writing. but not yet enough for the book. Thanks for asking and lighting a fire. Speaking of getting lit up; I heard the first gobble here in VT. Now to sit and wait for another 29 days.....

Offline DavePwns

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 07:59:28 PM »
Yes i've been writing. but not yet enough for the book. Thanks for asking and lighting a fire. Speaking of getting lit up; I heard the first gobble here in VT. Now to sit and wait for another 29 days.....
I'd be interested in reading so please let me know!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin6Q

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 06:27:17 PM »
Hello! The book is almost finished. Not at all what I expected it to be. Rather than write a classic "How to" it became a series of turkey bow hunting stories held together with a plot. Its along the lines of "My Side of the Mountain", "Hatchet", the "Peak" series. Maybe its best described as YA adventure.